You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-19 23:14:10

jbromley

Firefox file type management [SOLVED]

I am having some trouble with Firefox handling file downloads. There are two parts to my problem.

First, when I click on a file type that I've never handled before, I get the standard download/save dialog. In the dialog I see no default applications, probably because I'm not using GNOME, so I select "Open with...", browse to the desired application, and click "automatically do this..." When I check Edit->Preferences->Content->Manage File Types, I see an entry for the file type I downloaded. However, the next time I encounter that file type, it does not automatically open it with the desired program nor does it even populate the "Open with..." field so I can just click OK. In short, the problem seems to be that Firefox ignores its own file type database. To try to solve the problem, I have deleted mimeTypes.rdf and I have created a completely new profile, but yet I still have this problem. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Firefox to respect its file type management settings?

A second more general question involves how I might get the default application part working. I have tried installing libgnome and gnome-mime-types to get Firefox to pick something up, but with no success. The other option I've seen mentioned is having a mailcap file, but I can't find a good way to get a decent mailcap file set up in Arch. I also noticed the xdg-utils package, but I don't know if this can be integrated with Firefox.

Edit: OK, actually I noticed the libgnome partially seems to be working. After restarting my session, I noticed that now there are more MIME types in the file management setup. Unfortunately, it seems that trying to open one of the installed types still doesn't work.

Thanks for any suggestions,
j

Edit (6/1/2008): I updated to use Firefox 3 RC1 and it all magically works!

Last edited by jbromley (2008-06-02 06:35:44)

Board footer