You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-08 08:55:29

MNKyDeth

A64 optimization package building?

Well, I Have started to mess with A64 flags in the makepkg.conf file. For my first compile I decided to use Red_over_Blue's aterm example. Since this was my first attempt at a package I just wanted to see if it worked properly. So I did the pacman -A aterm-0.4.2-4.pkg.tar.gz
It worked flawlessly, but, it left me with a few questions.

Since I am compiling for A64 style cpu why when I pacman it and then run the aterm it worked without issues? Arch by default and my system is i686 currently. The package I built should be A64 only shouldn't it?

Here is my makepkg.conf settings that I used.
export CARCH="k8"
export CHOST="k8-pc-linux-gnu"

export CFLAGS="-march=k8 -02 -pipe"
export CXXFLAGS="-march=k8 -02 -pipe"

I am not sure if I was supposed to change the CARCH and CHOST options. I looked at the options they were using on gentoo and found -march=k8 is the default for A64 style cpu's.

So the question is, is my package true A64? Or is it just optimized but for 32bit? If I missed something here what do I do for a true A64 setup?

Any input is good input smile thanks for any replies.

#2 2004-05-08 09:03:39

dp
Website

Re: A64 optimization package building?

you have no issues with it, because your cpu supports i686 and k8

if e.g. i would try your pkg, it would not work at all --- because my cpu do not support the commands the binary will give to it

if you only made one pkg, then your system is mostly running i686 and only this pkg is possible to run k8 --- what you need to do is a makeworld of all pkgs you want ... this can give big trouble, because of e.g. gcc and others

good luck

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Board footer