You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-22 10:41:08

vistor

[SOLVED] user account strange problem

Hi, I normally would know where to start describing my problem but this time im not sure.

I rebooted after a pacman -Syu which only upgraded:
cups
ruby
and xorg-apps. (no "important" files in other words)

After the reboot I experience some very strange errors on my USER account.
1. I login as my user (tty) like i normally do and run startx.
2. I get a bunch of error messages and return to tty. Realizing something is wrong in .xinitrc i run "nano .xinitrc" and its empty?! I then manually recreate it and add "exec startxfce4" , saves and exit (without any error messages).
3. I try startx again but get the same error message. To doublecheck i have not spelled anything wrong in xinitrc i run "cat .xinitrc" and ONCE AGAIN its completely empty.. I manually create a random file and same thing happens to it. I save it with no error messages but after exiting nano/vi its completely empty again.
4. Puzzled i enter exec startxfce4 and experience a VERY slow start. Once inside my autostarting applications are not starting, i can not use ALT/Super(winflag) keys, cant start firefox (complaining about NFS problems after system crash), mpd/ncmpd not working with message "cant listen to localhost port 6600" etc etc..

thinking something went very wrong with my user acc i created a new account with adduser but even that acc is exeperiencing the same errors.
My root account is working perfectly fine and if i create files in /user/home i can edit and save them normally.

Where do i go from here, i really need a hand.
What logs/files do you need to see? /Victor  wink

EDIT:
[SOLVED]

I accidently noticed my ext3 partition was 100% full and suddenly remembered i had removed alot of large files from the bigger NTFS partition the night before causing them all to end up in the recycling bin on my ext3-partition and filling it up to the limit. It became so full that it didnt even have room for the tempfiles needed to startx etc. Emptying the recycle bin solved it all. Amusing how the solution sometimes makes you feel like an idiot big_smile

Last edited by vistor (2008-02-22 13:08:00)

#2 2008-02-22 18:26:17

carlocci

Re: [SOLVED] user account strange problem

No, it's amusing how in 2008 most applications aren't diskspace aware.

Board footer