You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-08 15:28:38

mr_ed

Mouse sometimes stops working

I was running Mozilla and XMMS under Gnome 2.6 (kernel 2.6.5), and all of a sudden, my MS Optical USB mouse (with PS/2 connector attached) stopped working.  The fancy lights underneath turned off and I couldn't move the pointer.

This is the second time it's happened to me over the course of several months.  The first time it happened, I just started up a game called OpenMortal, but this time I wasn't doing anything.
When I reboot, it doesn't come back on-line.  It's only when I cycle power to my system that it comes back up.

Any ideas out there?

Does anyone know any commands that I could have used to bring it back up?

TIA.

#2 2004-05-08 15:51:23

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Mouse sometimes stops working

If PS/2 is compiled as a module, you can try rmmod the module, then insmod it again. I don't remember the module name though.

Got that hotplug PS/2 trick from a kernel hacker, but he said it only works reliably for people who's first name starts with a K.  I don't know if it would help you or not, might not even be related.

You could also try connecting to USB. wink

Dusty

#3 2004-05-08 16:27:40

mr_ed

I suppose if it happens again, I'll try taking the PS/2 connector out.

Any chance that doing that will cause the mouse to automatically work?  (or do I need to change something in /etc/X11/XF86Config?  specifically stuff like /dev/psaux)

#4 2004-05-08 17:10:04

xerxes2
Website

I fixed my mouse problem by connecting to USB and change to /dev/input/mice  , worked in kernel 2.6.5 without doing anything more than that

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#5 2004-05-22 10:50:44

mcubednyc

Do you have gpm running?  Last time my USB mouse froze, I killed gpm and the mouse resurrected.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

Board footer