You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-24 08:45:40

MoonSwan

Konsole wonkiness

I use the kde DE (vanilla) and until now had few issues.  Whenever I try to run a konsole session from the KDE menu, it brings up console and asks for roots password.  Its supposed to open a session on my username but now its always asking me to use it as root, if that makes sense.  I can switch to a new konsole session so that I'll effectively have 2 sessions going (two tabs) but its annoying to have to do that then kill roots terminal tab while "Password:" sits there.

Recently my computer did not shut down properly a few times so I had to do a reset.  I don't know if thats the source of my issue or not but it seemed relevant.  fsck said all mounts are clean as well so I'm at a loss as to how to fix this or where to look for this issue.

MS

#2 2008-02-24 17:25:06

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: Konsole wonkiness

Is it possible to view the properties to see what command is being run?  For me, running gnome, I have to add the menu item to the desktop or panel in order to view the properties.

#3 2008-02-24 20:36:20

noalwin

MoonSwan wrote:

I use the kde DE (vanilla) and until now had few issues.  Whenever I try to run a konsole session from the KDE menu, it brings up console and asks for roots password.

If you execute "konsole" from the Execute dialog or the console, it asks for the password? If not, check the menu configuration with the menu editor.

#4 2008-02-24 20:50:31

raeven
Website

you may be running from the wrong shortcut,
I'm not sure about kde, but in gnome there are 2 shortcuts. one for the root use and one fro normal user.
if i remember correctly, the default root terminal in kde is coloured yellow/beige/cream? i'm not good with colours.
what happens if you run `konsole` from the run dialog? you should also be able to see the command by right clicking
on the shortcut, or dragging it to the desktop or panel and checking the properties through right clicking

#5 2008-02-25 21:40:48

MoonSwan

@tigrmesh, the properties both in the menu & if I copy the link to the desktop, are the same ... that is its calling just Konsole.

@noalwin, tried alt-f2 and the behaviour is the same as in my first post, that is it asks for roots password.

@raeven, I did think of that and looked at the properties for each.  The one that is supposed to explicitly ask for roots password says on its properties line:  konsole --type su ; the "normal" one says only: konsole.

I tried to type in to the links 'run'/command-to-be-executed line "konsole" again, thinking that re-entering it might change its behaviour back but this also did not work. 

Thank you for the suggestions but at this point the issue persists so I shall have to experiment some more and hope someone else might have ideas.

MS

#6 2008-02-26 01:06:04

loserMcloser

Try changing the execute line for the button or menu item that you launch konsole with to one of the following:

konsole --type shell

konsole --type linux

Board footer