You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-25 18:54:50

vbmithr

r500 and XVideo using opensource ati driver.

Ok, I just get my r500 card (ATI FireGL V5250) working with the lastest git xf86-video-ati driver working, with XVideo enabled smile)) I was using radeonhd, since the catalyst doesn't work well with my laptop (I have a resolution of 1400x1050 so the driver don't like it), anyway, now that XVideo support has been added on the ati driver, I'm using this one. It works great, only 2D but now I can watch movie flawlessly.

To install it, you must :

- Use my package, xf86-video-ati-git, you can find it on AUR.
- Use the libdrm-git package from AUR : You don't need to install it, just makepkg it and then go to src/linux-core, and make && make install

This will install radeon.ko and drm.ko in /lib/kernel-XX/extra
You must delete the old radeon.ko and drm.ko and replace it by those, I think someone can build a package which do that !! Anyway it works, all you have to do is replace the driver name by "ati" in your xorg.conf then restart X server.
And also, if you don't reboot, don't forget to rmmod radeon; rmmod drm; modprobe drm; modprobe radeon ...

Enjoy !

Vincent.

#2 2008-07-12 17:45:55

enrique
Website

Re: r500 and XVideo using opensource ati driver.

Hi

I just tried the radeonhd driver and now I'm running the ati driver on my x1300. I used your pkgbuild and just have some comments:

vbmithr wrote:

- Use my package, xf86-video-ati-git, you can find it on AUR.
- Use the libdrm-git package from AUR : You don't need to install it, just makepkg it and then go to src/linux-core, and make && make install

After makepkg'ing the libdrm-git package I had src/drm/linux-core and src/drm-build/linux-core. I just used src/drm/linux-core and it worked without any problems.

vbmithr wrote:

This will install radeon.ko and drm.ko in /lib/kernel-XX/extra
You must delete the old radeon.ko and drm.ko and replace it by those, I think someone can build a package which do that !!

The files are installed into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/, I copied them to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/ and rebooted.

I tried to play a couple of 720p movies and it workes perfectly.

Thanks for the pkgbuild smile

Kind regards, enrique

#3 2008-07-24 05:01:58

tachy

Re: r500 and XVideo using opensource ati driver.

I couldn't get this stuff to work, so I reverted to the old xf86-video-ati.
Both xf86-video-ati-git and libdrm-git were installed, and the new radeon.ko and drm.ko replaced as described above.
Still, glxinfo kept telling that direct rendering wasn't working, and LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose revealed that r300_dri.so was missing from /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/ - actually the whole dri directory was missing!

The reason why I want to check out the newest ATI Open-Source driver is because I get some serious corruptions when running fullscreen OpenGL applications with TV-out turned on.

Board footer