You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-26 10:22:02

natostanco

boot splash problem

Hi, i have a serious problem. I tried to install a boot splash with splashy but I fail to configure well it, infact when i try to boot arch there is an error whit the default font and i can't do nothing, instead if I delete the line regard to splashy in the grub menu.lst It gives me a Problem regard fila system check error, then I can only login as root for to fix the problem but I don't know how to do that. I've tried to run fsck with the boot cd but the problem still exist.
Help me please!!!

#2 2008-02-26 17:32:17

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: boot splash problem

Hi.

natostanco wrote:

Hi, i have a serious problem. I tried to install a boot splash with splashy but I fail to configure well it, infact when i try to boot arch there is an error whit the default font and i can't do nothing, instead if I delete the line regard to splashy in the grub menu.lst It gives me a Problem regard fila system check error, then I can only login as root for to fix the problem but I don't know how to do that. I've tried to run fsck with the boot cd but the problem still exist.
Help me please!!!

Don't delete the entire line from grub, just the word "splashy".

Can you boot using the fallback kernel?

I added another option to my menu.lst:  runlevel 3, no quiet, no splashy.  So I could boot and fix any errors with gdm or splashy.

I don't have splashy installed any more, so I can't help you much.  The themes are linked to from /etc/splashy/themes.  One of the folders has arch somewhere in the name.  That's the one that's probably being used.  There's an ?xml? file in that folder that may specify the font used.  There may also be a config file somewhere.

#3 2008-02-27 15:53:49

INCSlayer
Website

do you by any chance use the testing repo and have initscripts-splash installed?

dovie andi se tovya sagain

#4 2008-02-29 13:07:31

natostanco

I've fixed the problem regard the font, however when i try to boot, under splashy there is the same problem that happen without it that is "FILE SYSTEM CHECK ERROR", I think that there is this problem because when I install splashy there was a conflict whit the file initscript and i removed it; Is possible that the problem regard this file? and how to solve this fatal error??? Please help me because I don't want to format for the 5th time, please!

#5 2008-02-29 13:57:24

INCSlayer
Website

if i can understand your english you removed initscripts because splashy wanted initscripts-splash which it installed beside it probably without you noticing there a 2 problems with this if you have a udev thats newer then 116-3 you cant boot also when initscripts is uninstalled your rc.local.shutdown rc.local rc.conf and inittab is saved as .pacsave and replaced with empty ones from initscripts-splash to solve this follow these steps:
1. when you start it will say filesystem check error and ask if you want to fix it type in your root password and press enter
2. type mount -o -n remount,rw / and press enter
3. type pacman -S initscripts and press enter
4. type cp /etc/rc.local.shutdown.pacsave /etc/rc.local.shutdown press enter
5. type cp /etc/rc.local.pacsave /etc/rc.local press enter
6. type cp /etc/rc.conf.pacsave /etc/rc.conf press enter
7. type cp /etc/inittab.pacsave /etc/inittab
8. type reboot and press enter and you should be able to boot into your filesystem

if you pacman tells you that it cant find initscripts then download the package from here:
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/testing/os/i686 … pkg.tar.gz
and put it on a usb drive and mount it from inside another linux for example a ubuntu live cd
then mount your arch root aswell and copy the initscripts-2008.02-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz to mountpoint/root/
then go back and go from step 3 but with pacman -U initscripts-2008.02-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

this should fix your system if you still want to have a splash screen after this trouble tell me and i will guide you through the steps to make a splash work

Last edited by INCSlayer (2008-02-29 13:58:10)

#6 2008-02-29 14:27:27

natostanco

thanks a lot for your help! and sorry for my bad english tongue
This solved the problem!
then if you want guide me to configure splashy I will be very happy big_smile

#7 2008-02-29 14:46:14

INCSlayer
Website

ok then this is not very hard actually big_smile
now since i use fbsplash its abit different but if you followed the arch wiki it should be configured correctly

1. type pacman -S core/udev press enter
2. type pacman -Qs udev and see if it says: local/udev 116-3 (base) if it does continue if it dont please post back
3. install initscripts-splash
4. type cp /etc/rc.local.shutdown.pacsave /etc/rc.local.shutdown press enter
5. type cp /etc/rc.local.pacsave /etc/rc.local press enter
6. type cp /etc/rc.conf.pacsave /etc/rc.conf press enter
7. type cp /etc/inittab.pacsave /etc/inittab press enter
8. use you a text editor of your choice and add this line to /etc/pacman.conf:
IgnorePkg    = initscripts-splash udev put it under the HoldPkg      = pacman glibc line
9. reboot and hope it works i cant say if the splash will work that depends on if the wiki is correct but you should atleast be able to boot

Last edited by INCSlayer (2008-02-29 14:46:49)

#8 2008-02-29 21:27:01

natostanco

It seems that now works, it shows a small arch logo at the top of the screen, and under there are the normal lines...
but i've also tried to change the theme but it is always the same at the boot...

#9 2008-03-01 07:24:10

INCSlayer
Website

you have to rebuild the kernel when you change the theme so after you have changed the theme type:
mkinitcpio -p kernel26

Board footer