You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-26 13:19:30

Zibi1981

Real Time kernel questions

I decided to compile myself a new kernel using a PKGBUILD from AUR, which contains Ingo Molnar's real time patch. I know that there are some entries int the wiki about this (Kernel Compilation with ABS, Custom Kernel Compilation with ABS, Kernel Patches and Patchsets), but they don't answer all of my doubts.
The major question is related to my graphic card's drivers. I'm a happy Radeon user tongue using fglrx proprietary drivers. At the moment they are working fine on a vanilla kernel form [core], the problem is whether I would have to do some voodoo to make them work on a rt-kernel? Now I know what is written in wiki about installing Catalyst drivers on a custom kernel, but when on Mandriva I tried to install 8.1 on my rt-kernel, I had to do some tricks and recompile fglrx to make it work. Does anyone tried installing Catalyst drivers ver. 8.2 on a real-time kernel from AUR?

Another thing: I have a .config file from the previous rt-kernel. Would it be suitable for 2.6.24?

Finally, I recently read about grsecurity patchset. Did anyone tried it on Arch, especially on a real time kernel? Any problems?

Waiting for suggestions smile

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#2 2008-02-26 15:20:13

broch
Banned

Re: Real Time kernel questions

first I hope that you understand that RT kernels on desktops are slower than preempt default or vanilla kernel?
second: I use grsec (or RSBAC) kernels.
grsec will not work with anything messing up with memory (even Kolivas patches in past had issues with grsec). This can be fixed but then what is the point of enabling hardened kernel with disabled features?
I simply patch vanilla with grsec.
Remember that some pax options are incompatible with X (all explained when option is selected, so no way to make mistake)
finally it works well lowest overhead, best speed and easies to manage among kernel hardening patches (I do not count Apparmor, as this is rather limited tool)

#3 2008-02-26 16:32:52

Zibi1981

broch wrote:

first I hope that you understand that RT kernels on desktops are slower than preempt default or vanilla kernel?

I'm using one on my Mandriva 2008.0 and didn't notice any slowdown.

broch wrote:

second: I use grsec (or RSBAC) kernels.
grsec will not work with anything messing up with memory (even Kolivas patches in past had issues with grsec). This can be fixed but then what is the point of enabling hardened kernel with disabled features?
I simply patch vanilla with grsec.
Remember that some pax options are incompatible with X (all explained when option is selected, so no way to make mistake)
finally it works well lowest overhead, best speed and easies to manage among kernel hardening patches (I do not count Apparmor, as this is rather limited tool)

If I understood you, then it's a choice between real time and more security, right?

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#4 2008-07-18 12:24:39

dlc
Website

So, Zibi1981, how did you fare with installing Ingo's patches?  I'm considering trying ArchLinux but would like to know up front if rt-kernel doesn't play nice in this world.  I really don't have time these days for life on the bleeding edge.

"'So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.   You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.   Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe.'"

--from Nightfall  by Asimov/Silverberg

Board footer