You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-27 08:30:36

ph0tios

new to e17

Hi, I recently decided to give e17 a try for something new. I know it's still under heavy development...so I was wondering if there is anything I should be weary of? And also, if you use it, what is your favorite them? Any tips or tricks you have will be greatly appreciated as well.

#2 2008-02-27 09:38:42

zenlord
Website

Re: new to e17

I like it, although I've not used it heavily - I just installed it a week ago and I haven't had the time to peruse it.

I read somewhere that the filemanager can cause datacorruption, so you shouldn't use it. I don't like the interface of the filemanager, so that's easy for me. But I do have problems with thunar taking several minutes to start - I haven't gotten around to finding the problem...

Theme-wise I installed the gOS-theme yesterday and I like it, although it is GREEN... Also the detour-theme should be nice, but once again: haven't had the time...

There is a thread in the announcements-section where you can find some information.

Zl.

#3 2008-02-27 15:01:21

skottish
Forum Fellow

I've been using E17 exclusively for months. Outside of the problems with EFM (http://bugzilla.enlightenment.org/show_bug.cgi?id=372), everything is just getting better. I have no stability problems at all and haven't in quite a while.

----->

I forgot to answer your theme question. I'm using the Japan theme with the matching Smooth-Japan GTK theme from the Smooth9 collection and a custom background. It's a very nice blend of simplicity with a little bit of flash. The colors are soft so it's easy to look at for extended periods of time. One note, with E17 you want to set the font anti-aliasing to automatic so your fonts don't look like crap.

Last edited by skottish (2008-02-27 16:21:04)

#4 2008-02-27 22:06:35

Matrix

You could also take a look at the compiz-project for e17 ecomp.

http://code.google.com/p/itask-module/wiki/Stuff

I've just compiled it and it works without any problems or errors so far.

#5 2008-02-27 23:37:58

iggy

Matrix wrote:

could you please explain how did you compiled and installed ecomorph? i installed it a few days ago and i can not use the scale plugin. did you make PKGBUILDs?

mfg iggy

sorry for my bad english smile

#6 2008-02-28 04:42:35

ph0tios

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Matrix wrote:

How is it on resources?

#7 2008-02-28 09:55:38

Matrix

@ph0tios: For me it runs faster then compiz under gnome or kde

@iggy: I followed the instructions on the site and compiled everything manually with no major changes to make it run under arch. Unfortunately i dont know how to write PKGBUILDs hmm

#8 2008-02-28 14:49:38

skottish
Forum Fellow

If anyone wants a PKGBUILD and doesn't know how to or doesn't feel like writing it, file a request in AUR Package Requests. This one I know someone will take right away.

#9 2008-02-28 16:21:23

bgc1954

Hi,

I've been using E17 on two desktops and one laptop computer for quite awhile now.  I use a grey theme from http://www.e17-stuff.org/index.php?xcontentmode=7000.  It is commented as not working with cvs but I have no problems with it.  The only thing that I didn't like was the size of the font so I used edje_decc to change the font component.  This site has some interesting stuff for E17

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#10 2008-02-28 16:54:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

bgc1954 wrote:

Hi,

I've been using E17 on two desktops and one laptop computer for quite awhile now.  I use a grey theme from http://www.e17-stuff.org/index.php?xcontentmode=7000.  It is commented as not working with cvs but I have no problems with it.  The only thing that I didn't like was the size of the font so I used edje_decc to change the font component.  This site has some interesting stuff for E17

A lot of the problems with "older" themes is they don't know how to handle the current pager. On my box, the pager automatically goes to full screen on one monitor and any attempt to resize it fails. Happily I don't use the pager!

#11 2008-02-28 18:03:23

pressh
Developer/TU

skottish wrote:

A lot of the problems with "older" themes is they don't know how to handle the current pager. On my box, the pager automatically goes to full screen on one monitor and any attempt to resize it fails. Happily I don't use the pager!

If you like some of the older themes you can always apply a different theme to the pager (or any other module if you like). You can do this from the advanced theme configuration dialog.

#12 2008-02-29 15:28:24

archy

I've been looking at e17 on and off for a bit and I just have a minor question about wallpaper.  Whenever I use a wallpaper that's smaller than the size of the desktop, the background colour filling the rest of the space is always white.  I feel like I'm missing a completely obvious option somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the white to any other colour.  Any help much appreciated.  Thanks.

#13 2008-02-29 18:09:08

bgc1954

Hi,

When you go to Menu=> Configuration=> Wallpaper and choose Picture and select what you want out of some folder, right below is the option to stretch the picture to fill the screen.  I personally like to resize the pics in the Gimp to my screen resolution 1280x1040 otherwise the transparency used in conky is out of whac and the edges of the app don't blend in with the background.  If you resize the pic you don't have to stretch it either.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#14 2008-02-29 18:29:45

archy

Yeah, I realize I could resize the image in an external program, stretch it, etc. but it's not what I would prefer to do.  I guess it just strikes me as odd that the option for a background colour with wallpaper seems non-existent when other major DEs (gnome, kde, xfce) all support this option (not that e17 devs have to copy anyone, of course).  Just a pet peeve I was hoping there was an option for I was just missing somehow.  hmm

Last edited by archy (2008-02-29 18:30:45)

#15 2008-02-29 19:00:06

skottish
Forum Fellow

Enlightenment handles things much differently than other WM's. The background is actually converted to an edje file before it's used. This is why apps like stalonetray won't do transparency based on the root window; You have to explicitly define a pixmap. The reason for this is so you can have animated desktops.

#16 2008-02-29 19:24:31

archy

Ah, ok.  Guess I shouldn't hold my breath for the feature then.  lol.  Thanks for the background info.

#17 2008-03-01 15:15:35

iggy

Matrix wrote:

@iggy: I followed the instructions on the site and compiled everything manually with no major changes to make it run under arch. Unfortunately i dont know how to write PKGBUILDs hmm

can you use all the plugins (especially scale) ? how did you enable shadows etc? i don't know how to configure it...

thx iggy

sorry for my bad english smile

#18 2008-03-03 14:14:19

Matrix

Have you installed the configuration-tool ecsm? It looks the same as the compiz conf-tool and you should be able to activate or deacivate all of the plugins there. Scale was enabled on my installation by default like most of the other plugins i use(expo).

PS: I had Compiz-Fusion installed so maybe ecomorph has transfered the compiz-settings to its default configuration.

Last edited by Matrix (2008-03-03 14:14:38)

#19 2008-05-18 11:30:10

Lastebil

Arriving a bit late to the thread, but having just installed ecomorph on 2 very different machines (having discovered it by browsing the E17 bits in aur - though there is no packagebuild for it) I thought I'd add a few notes.

First, to answer the question originally posed:  Been using E17 for quite some time, 6 months or longer on one box; have gone through at least one spot where the configuration completely changed; still the results of that were 'ok, I lost my config but gained these REALLY good features.'  Of late, the changes have not touched any configs, and the plugins have continued to work after an upgrade.

I use the Steampunk theme, with it's default background on this box (as it has the clock (:  ) and with a static background from the E pages.

Of note - in the latest updates, wallpaper can be loaded and previewed from get-e org right in the configuration panel.  (Themes - not yet - and I don't know if they're working on that but it seems like a sensible move.)

The animated/programmable backgrounds for E17 just plain rock; the concept is intriguing and I hope to do some fiddling with it myself in future.

Now, on to ecomorph:

Having built it on 2 machines with different cards, and differing ages of my Arch install, I had some differences:
1. I first did NOT comment out the keyboard control in ecomorph; that resulted in a lot of frustration trying to get keyboard/mouse movements working properly.
  - I don't honestly think it helps at all to remove it, after all; what DOES matter is running in a dbus session, and using the 'ccp' plugin for ecomorph.

2. If you don't get the ccp plugin, or you have problems with the PKG_CONFIG_PATH (which you will unless you modify things in the configuration phase - i.e. you do NOT follow the instructions on the google code page to the letter) you will need to use;
PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/bin/pkg-config:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig" ./configure

This is because the google code page installs to /usr/local.  (Another reason why changing this to an AUR package right now is probably too early; it's alpha-stage code and he does state one app needs to be installed somewhere in particular or he gets wierd signals.)

3. I run my setup from startx, I don't use entrance or any of the other graphical login things.  Therefore, I put a little bit at the end of my .xinitrc:

urxvt -e dbus-launch --exit-with-session ~/start.sh

and within start.sh I have:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/ecomorph ccp expo png svg&
/usr/local/bin/enlightenment_start -evil

This allowed me to twiddle with the ecomorph line easily, even within the X session (by killing the dbus-launch bit, then restarting it with the script in the -- exit clause.)

4. The ccp module seems to load/unload modules as needed when using the modified ecsm; I copied the defaults (as specified on the google code page) and the defaults were good enough (expo, scale, and shift switcher all worked.)  I moved them to where I use them (also having osX, I am used to having 'upper right' and 'upper left' do certain things.)

I also noted that 'wobbly windows' works in expose, but not elsewhere.

'Animation' is NOT on in the default google code setup.  Turning it on, with the ccp module loaded, gives me (on both setups) focus window shiver, create/destroy anims, and similar.  The ecsm editor for them seems to not be that effective, though some bits do have some effect.

5. I _cannot_ get cube rotation on mouse to work, nor can I get ring-select to work, nor can I get most of the items involving 'super' key to work (super-E to turn on expose, for example.)  This is the case with either E keybindings/mousebindings on, or off.

In short: I'm very happy, I have the desktop I _wanted_ with this; save one thing (that I may hack later) - the tiling-windows patch.  I know that while some folks will think tiled windows and expose is silly, I find it increases my productivity; and that is a mark in the 'win' column for me.

Oh - one other thing.  SINCE this installs to /usr/local with the instructions, you STILL will have your /opt install if you have the aur versions (such as the tiling hack) or the standard package.

These can co-habitate; but you will need to have all the extra modules set up for BOTH setups - obviously if you are missing the 'E17-modules' package for the /usr/local ecomorph version, you can't load those modules (:   I have not tried copying or symlinking yet, I am just working without them (as, well, I suddenly don't have the need for any sort of task bar (:   But that's me, your mileage WILL differ.)

#20 2008-05-18 11:34:50

Lastebil

sorry, one last thing (:

the 'number of desktops' setting in ecsm does NOT stick.

The vertical number is how many vertical panes you'll have in expo; horizontal, the same.  The 'total number' is how many ecomoprh will think of you having.

This _IS_ different from what E17 knows.  If you have 4 virtual desktops configured in E17, and you have 9 in Ecomorph, E17 will still let you flip thru 4 of them - but it may not be the 4 you assume.  Unless you enjoy this little guessing game (I do, but I actually only use expo(se) to swap desktops) I would suggest leaving them both at the same number.

Finally, I don't know if this came out in that last post:
I thoroughly want to dump osX's aqua for E17 + ecomorph.  It's _that_ good.

#21 2008-05-30 01:41:32

ruinevil

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O … _Search=Go <--- ECOMORPH AKA ECOMP

See if these work for you. They build to /usr so you can use other e17 packages.

git clone git://staff.get-e.org/users/jeffdameth/compiz.git
cd compiz && git checkout --track -b ecomorph origin/ecomorph
./autogen.sh
make
sudo make install
--->cp -r ecomp ~/.config/

No idea how to do the arrowed line...

2008-05-29-004056_1280x800_scrot.png

Last edited by ruinevil (2008-05-31 16:53:09)

#22 2008-05-31 00:00:37

Lyceuhns

Since 2006 i waiting for a official E17 release.
Sometimes i test E17, and i see that is becoming better and better... \o/

Matrix wrote:

I've tried Bling module (i think that is it), it's a molule to E17 as Xcompmgr is to others, transparency, fade, beautiful, but as other things in E17... not stable.

I hope very soon the project release.

#23 2008-06-01 23:40:59

ruinevil

E17 has been in alpha for a decade... It will never release....

#24 2008-06-02 02:26:28

skottish
Forum Fellow

ruinevil wrote:

E17 has been in alpha for a decade... It will never release....

E17 is as stable as anything out there. People are confused between third party add-ons (Bling, Emphasis, Exhibit, etc) and what is Enlightenment.

Last edited by skottish (2008-06-02 02:27:05)

#25 2008-06-02 19:45:07

vogt

ph0tios wrote:

And also, if you use it, what is your favorite them?

If you have the bandwidth, try them all (from get-e.org)!
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=7896

Board footer