You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-27 21:20:52

LTSmash
Website

Root filesystem errors, Arch mounts it as RO, unusable system

I dunno why, but since a little why Arch stopped working because it just stops the initscripts where it checks for filesystems.

I'm getting at the beginning of initscripts this:

"Using static /dev filesystem"

Then it goes into maintenance mode after the Filesystem Check, asking for my root password, with the root filesystem mounted read-only, then it asks me to fsck it and change the superblock, however I can't do this because /dev/sda1 (my root FS) doesn't exists.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance smile

Proud Ex-Arch user.
Still an ArchLinux lover though.

Currently on Kubuntu 9.10

#2 2008-02-28 03:47:39

vogt

Re: Root filesystem errors, Arch mounts it as RO, unusable system

You can run fsck from a livecd such as arch's installer. You risk causing more damage with fsck (so if the data is important, copy it somewhere else first), but it is the only way to possibly recover your root fs.

#3 2008-02-28 04:17:42

bender02

To me it seems that it's more likely that somehow the module for your filesystem didn't make it into to the initcpio, when it was last generated by mkinitcpio. So: what's your filesystem on / ? Did you do some changes to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (ie. removing some hooks)? Did you try to boot with "fallback" initcpio?

#4 2008-02-28 22:28:30

LTSmash
Website

bender02 wrote:

To me it seems that it's more likely that somehow the module for your filesystem didn't make it into to the initcpio, when it was last generated by mkinitcpio. So: what's your filesystem on / ? Did you do some changes to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (ie. removing some hooks)? Did you try to boot with "fallback" initcpio?

Well, I don't believe the same, but I'm not sure.

I'm using a ext3 filesystem, and no, I didn't make any changes to mkinitcpio.conf, however I'm using the [Testing] repo and sometimes when I must change config I miss to merge the old to the new format, maybe it has something to do, however I don't remember to have updated before this problem happened.

And yes, I have tried the fallback with no luck.

Proud Ex-Arch user.
Still an ArchLinux lover though.

Currently on Kubuntu 9.10

#5 2008-03-01 07:24:48

INCSlayer
Website

1. when you start it will say filesystem check error and ask if you want to fix it type in your root password and press enter
2. type mount -o -n remount,rw / and press enter
3. type pacman -S initscripts and press enter
4. type cp /etc/rc.local.shutdown.pacsave /etc/rc.local.shutdown press enter
5. type cp /etc/rc.local.pacsave /etc/rc.local press enter
6. type cp /etc/rc.conf.pacsave /etc/rc.conf press enter
7. type cp /etc/inittab.pacsave /etc/inittab
8. type reboot and press enter and you should be able to boot into your filesystem

if you pacman tells you that it cant find initscripts then download the package from here:
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/testing/os/i686 … pkg.tar.gz
and put it on a usb drive and mount it from inside another linux for example a ubuntu live cd
then mount your arch root aswell and copy the initscripts-2008.02-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz to mountpoint/root/
then go back and go from step 3 but with pacman -U initscripts-2008.02-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

Last edited by INCSlayer (2008-03-01 07:25:15)

dovie andi se tovya sagain

Board footer