You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-27 22:43:31

erm67

2 PKGBUILD one dependent from the other

I was wondering what is the best method to update a AUR package that depends on a second package. I describe the problem:
cairo-dock and cairo-dock-plugins

to build cairo-dock-plugins first cairo-dock has to be installed (easiest and cleanest way to solve all path problems)
cairo-dock-plugins apparently works only with the version of cairo-dock they are shipped with so they should be always recompiled when cairo-dock is updated.
I set depends=('cairo-dock=1.5.1' in the cairo-dock-plugins PKGBUILD because the package only works with that version, the problem is that when I update cairo-dock to 1.5.2 and try to install it with pacman -U it (correctly) says it is  required by cairo-dock-plugins, so I have to uninstall cairo-dock-plugins install cairo-dock and than update cairo-dock-plugins and install them ....

I hope I explained it well ....
Is there a cleaner way of doing it?
Removing the dependency from  cairo-dock-plugins is wrong, I think, because they only work with that specific version, having to manually uninstall and reinstall it is annoying.

#2 2008-02-27 23:42:03

bender02

Re: 2 PKGBUILD one dependent from the other

Since you're going to compile -plugins right after -U'ing cairo-dock, I'd say 'pacman -Uf cairo-dock' does the job. It just saves uninstalling cairo-dock-plugins.

#3 2008-03-01 21:18:12

erm67

Re: 2 PKGBUILD one dependent from the other

bender02 wrote:

Since you're going to compile -plugins right after -U'ing cairo-dock, I'd say 'pacman -Uf cairo-dock' does the job. It just saves uninstalling cairo-dock-plugins.

Yes but than you cannot install cairo-dock 1.5.2 because it conflicts with cairo-dock-plugins 1.5.1, you have to uninstall both in any case .....

Well it is not a big deal anyway, maybe I can add a warning in the install script .(I know, I don't read them either ...).

Last edited by erm67 (2008-03-01 21:19:06)

Board footer