You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-09 23:41:41

di0

transparent gnome terminal problem

Hi there all archies!
I have a problem with transparency in gnome terminal. When using it without transparency it runs smoothly, but when i turn on the transparency all gets slow and i cant really use it.

I have tried both before and after nvidia-drivers installer but without any success. My graphic card is an nvidia 2 gts, and i am running gnome without kdelibs/qt installed.

Coaching 'The slaughters' in Hattrick
www.hattrick.org

#2 2004-06-05 17:15:25

tyler

Re: transparent gnome terminal problem

I get the same problem, gnome terminal will hog 90 to 98% of my CPUs when i enable the transparent background. Its not that i lack processing power (athlon MP 2800), because i used gnome term 2.4 on my P3 for nearly a year without any problems with the transparent background effect. my video card is a ATI Radeon with 64M. I use the generic radeon drivers provided with xfree86.

I suspect a bug, has anyone successfully used gnome term with the tb effect without problems?
anymore, i can't not use it. i am addicted.

Till human voices wake us, and we drown. -Eliot

#3 2004-06-05 18:51:30

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

since it is not true transparency, the desktop is analyzed, and the location of the window is used to get the information of the hidden portion of the desktop. Then the hidden portion is drawn based on what it should be...this is why when you move the terminal, the desktop takes a second to redraw.

Its going to be slow until X gets real transparency...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2004-06-05 20:55:41

tyler

i understand that, but my P3 box has been running gnome 2.4 for a year now and the transparent background effect in gnome-term does not do this. and by this i mean take 98% of my CPU. I think that something is not quite right with version 2.6 ... or that my new box is not configured properly.

They don't put a processor and 64M of memory on a video card so that a stupid effect ... oh, i see .. it is not true transparency. so it's not my videocard, but c'mon, what crappy bogo algorithm did they use to emulate that effect in gnome-term 2.6?

#5 2004-06-06 00:06:05

Cobalt

Works fine for me  big_smile
However, what makes me wonder is why it doesnt hog cpu (doesnt even get near 10%), or even slow down the terminal on my computer (a 5 year old 667Mhz PIII with an onboard intel I810 that has 4mb of video ram), while on your much newer, better, and faster computers and video cards (and much more expensive ones at that), you have this silly issue. Must be some bug in the code that draws the "transparency", but what what a strange bug.

How does this work on some other older computers and graphics chips? Anyone getting similar results?

#6 2004-06-06 03:39:26

leejpar
Website

It sounds like a video related problem. Turning on DRI in XFree86 may help. I use the transparency myself. CPU runs about 10% higher on my box, AthlonXP 1700, 256K memory. I have an ATI AIW7500, XFRee86 4.4. I did manually enable DRI when I set-up ARCH and a few other tweaks in  "/etc/X11/XF86Config".

Linux Registered User #337161
'It's free. It works. Duh.'" - Eric Harrison

#7 2004-06-06 05:08:28

tyler

yes, dri indeed! de-comenting it in XFree86Config did the trick. also, as a result everything looks nicer, and it appears to have fixed another minor bug i encoutered in gnome-term, which was while i scrolled up the text got all corupted.  thanks dude. what is dri anyway?

uh, maybe i should start a new thread but i'll ask here anyway. mozilla runs fine as root but when i attempt to run it as any other user it does nothing. i mean i enter the command mozilla in a terminal and it doesn't do anything, no processes are started, nothing. it takes the command and promptly return s the next bash line without any comments or fatal error in melting process x0876w or whatever. i re-installed it with pacman (-R and again -Sy), no luck. any ideas?

thanks again

#8 2004-06-06 05:36:20

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer