You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-02 05:56:57

darkfoon

iceS and icecast

Hello,
I am setting up iceS and icecast for the first time.
I have a directory that contains subdirectories sorting out music files in FLAC format. The directory contents may change and I'd like the files added to the directory to be included in streaming. I know that the FLAC format can be wrapped in an .ogg container without any loss in quality.

Since I plan to run this icecast server on my LAN, I was wondering if I can set up iceS and icecast to randomly pick songs from this directory, and stream them without having to convert all the files in the directory?

Anybody with any experience with this please reply.
Thank you

#2 2008-03-02 06:40:39

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: iceS and icecast

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but I used to run Icecast in combination with MPD. With MPD you can easily add and remove songs in your playlist, and also play them randomly. We have a nice tutorial in our wiki, check it out. I hope that answers your question, or at least part of it...

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#3 2008-03-02 10:12:29

darkfoon

Re: iceS and icecast

Sorry for phrasing my first post so poorly.
Thank you very much.

This is a start, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working.
I followed the tutorial... but I must be missing something because whenever I try to connect a client, it can't stream, and MPD isn't leaving any logs behind... (despite setting up logging directories, and all that)
Icecast's logs are not as useful as I'd hope.

I guess the part that this doesn't fix is that I don't want to have to convert my files from FLAC. In the MPD config, it seems that it converts the audio into Vorbis audio for icecast streaming.
I was trying to find a server that would just take the FLAC files and stream those.

Board footer