You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-02 06:43:10

troy`

Gnome nm-applet issues. Seems with dbus.

Hello. I recently changed from wicd back to networkmanager because I had liked it better in the past. My issue is with the Tray Icon will not appear. After extensive googling I found some some possible fixes that turned up nothing. I run...

$ sudo killall nm-applet

and then ...

$ nm-applet &

at first it threw these errors

$ 
** (nm-applet:8882): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /tmp/orbit-troy

(nm-applet:8882): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

** (nm-applet:8882): WARNING **: <WARN>  nma_dbus_init(): could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service() says: 'Connection ":1.61" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the configuration file'

I then googled some more ang did a

sudo chmod -R 700 /tmp/orbit*

which took care of the permission issues for that. Now I am left with this remaining error that google cannot seem to help with.

(nm-applet:8891): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

** (nm-applet:8891): WARNING **: <WARN>  nma_dbus_init(): could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service() says: 'Connection ":1.63" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the configuration file'

** (nm-applet:8891): WARNING **: <WARN>  nma_dbus_init(): could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service() says: 'Connection ":1.63" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the configuration file'

I had issues with /tmp/ permissions strait off when reinstalling Arch recently where Gnome wouldnt start because it didnt have /tmp/ permissions. I did a quick 777 to take care of that. Any help is appreciated.

#2 2008-03-02 07:42:23

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: Gnome nm-applet issues. Seems with dbus.

Is your account a member of the network group? for example:

gpasswd -a USERNAME network

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2008-03-02 22:47:39

troy`

Re: Gnome nm-applet issues. Seems with dbus.

Heh, that was it. I had added myself already and did a CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and figured that would be sufficient. Although I'm now having WPA2 issues that I will be posting elsewhere. Thank you.

Board footer