You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-02 12:37:57

Demon

Help me set up ADSL connection

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum, and I'm using Arch linux for about a week or two. I'm using Linux for about 2 years, though, so I'm not a newbie Linux user.
However, I'm having troubles with my adsl connection to internet. I have Thomson SpeedTouch 530 v5 adsl modem, connected via integrated Realtec network card. I have internet as long I as I don't start adsl service. But when I start adsl service I can't access internet anymore.

Any help regarding this matter is highly appreciated.

P.S. I have already read a bunch of simillar topics on this forum, but nothing actually helped me.

#2 2008-03-02 19:32:17

vogt

Re: Help me set up ADSL connection

I might be wrong about this, but:sometimes the adsl modem might just communicate with your computer using tcp/ip (like on a lan between computers), and not using ppp for which you probably need to configure pppd which is the adsl daemon....

Without starting /etc/rc.d/adsl, this is probably what happens: the modem somehow has its username and password saved, and connects automatically, then either accepts your static ip address, or assigns one via dhcp (probably the latter, since you didn't have to specify dns servers in /etc/resolv.conf, right?).

EDIT: it would be more helpful to say what you actually tried, so we can see what didn't work.

Last edited by vogt (2008-03-02 19:33:11)

#3 2008-03-02 19:49:39

Demon

Hi vogt!

First to say that my modem began to acting strange last few days. Even on my Mandriva system sometimes it gives me troubles.

I have dynamical IP, and my current setup on Arch is this:

rc.conf wrote:

HOSTNAME="demon"

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
#eth0="eth0 0.0.0.0 up"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

gateway="dhcp"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

DAEMONS=(@syslog-ng network adsl @httpd @mysqld @netfs @crond @ntpd @sensors @cpufreq alsa hal fam kdm)

/etc/ppp/pppoe.conf wrote:

ETH='eth0'
USER='pejakm@adsl'
DEMAND=no
DNSTYPE=SPECIFY
PEERDNS=no
DNS1=81.93.64.1
DNS2=81.93.64.9
DEFAULTROUTE=yes
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=30
CONNECT_POLL=2
ACNAME=
SERVICENAME=
PING="."
CF_BASE=`basename $CONFIG`
PIDFILE="/var/run/$CF_BASE-pppoe.pid"
SYNCHRONOUS=yes
CLAMPMSS=1412
LCP_INTERVAL=20
LCP_FAILURE=3
PPPOE_TIMEOUT=80
FIREWALL=NONE
LINUX_PLUGIN=
PPPOE_EXTRA=""
PPPD_EXTRA=""
RETRY_ON_FAILURE=no

and I had to blank /etc/ppp/options
and to change "/usr/sbin/pppoe-start" to "/usr/sbin/pppoe-connect" in /etc/rc.d/adsl script so I could even start pppoe.

But at the moment I don't get what I want: still no ppp0 interface, but I have internet connection. I need ppp0 interface, because I have apache web server running (so I can access it from outside using current ip address - this works in Mandriva).

#4 2008-03-02 21:46:12

elgatofelix

U could try with pppoe-setup.

I have a similar setup for network and i think u should append a ! to the eth0 device:

eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo !eth0)

Are u listening?

#5 2008-03-02 22:55:44

Demon

Strange... I did as You said, and nothing, still the same. But it works if I comment lo interface too, like this:

#lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
#eth0="dhcp"
#INTERFACES=(lo)
#gateway="dhcp"
#ROUTES=(!gateway)

But then I cannot access 127.0.0.1 nor enter graphical mode (kde). I really don't understand this...

#6 2008-03-03 08:16:49

Rasi
Website

there is an option to stop xorg from listening on the network, that should be a temporaly solution for your X problem. its a commandline option for xserver itself (-nolisten tcp, -nolisten udp), but i dont know how to activate through a login manager sad

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#7 2008-03-03 08:30:41

Demon

Thank You, Rasl, if I encounter these problems again You advice will sure get in hand. But I've managed to succeed in what I've wanted to:

I commented (in rc.conf) eth0 interface leaving only lo, and now works. I don't know why it didn't worked right away... But sometimes ppp0 connection just brakes. I don't know what causes this.

Board footer