You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-02 14:54:30

ljshap

Recording with SB Audigy LS

I have an Audigy LS that works fine as far as playing audio or streaming audio over the Internet, but I can get Audacity to record either steaming audio or line-in audio.  If I set audacity to OSS: /dev/dsp, the mixer tool bar doesn't even show up.  If I set audacity to one of the ALSA settings, the mixer tool bar does show up, but it doesn't record.  Audacity will also change the playback speed on any files I am already streaming.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problems, but I read somewhere that this soundcard does not have hardware mixing.  I also have to set IEC958 to mute in order to play audio files. 

I would be willing to replace this card with either the M-Audio Revolution 5.1. or 7.1 if it would solve these problems.  M-Audio has been recommend in this forum, but no one seemed to address the recording issue.  I would be interested in any comments concerning the above problems or any experience recording with the Revolution sound cards.  I would also be interested in any differences between the two cards other than 5 channels vs. 7 channels. 

Thanks

Larry

Live Free or Die !

#2 2008-03-03 07:23:45

B15HOP

Re: Recording with SB Audigy LS

I have a similar problem too. The problem is to do with the mic not turning on. If you press tab in alsamixer, it shows what the sound card will record and what volume settings for each input line. Yet for me, even with 100% volume on mic, i can not record because mic won't "turn on"

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44837

It's a real annoyance as this sound card worked worked really well in skype... not anymore.

"The ecological crisis is a moral issue."

#3 2008-03-04 01:44:56

ljshap

B15HOP wrote:

I have a similar problem too. The problem is to do with the mic not turning on. If you press tab in alsamixer, it shows what the sound card will record and what volume settings for each input line. Yet for me, even with 100% volume on mic, i can not record because mic won't "turn on"

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44837

It's a real annoyance as this sound card worked worked really well in skype... not anymore.

I admit that I am not an audio guru which is partially due to the fact that things always worked.  The joke is that I have an old SB Live (BUDGET) on my old computer which can record streaming audio and Line-in audio.  This machine is also running Arch so its not the OS. 
One of the best suggestions I've seen on this forum is to pick up an old SB on Ebay.  It totally boggles my mind that such a mundane task should be such a problem.  I may swap cards which is NOT the solution I wanted since I also use window on the old machine to run Replay Radio. 

Good Luck

Live Free or Die !

#4 2008-03-05 11:10:33

B15HOP

Yeah it's pissing me off because the card worked really well with alsa before. Right now I can't say the same.

"The ecological crisis is a moral issue."

Board footer