You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-03 00:50:38

MoonSwan

K3B errors when verifying burned discs

I wasn't certain where to post this issue but I hope this area will do.

Lately, I've had issues with K3B not verifying discs I write.  At first, I thought it was just bad cdrw's (they are well over 2 years old) but even with brand new cdr's the same error comes up everytime K3b tries to verify a burn:  Error Data in Written track 1 differs from source!  (I am paraphrasing the error code here as best I can).

I've tried to burn at 8x speed, with different brands of media, cdrw's & cdr's as I said above, the md5's check out allright ... I'm at wit's end!  I can't think of what else to check and i've not had this issue ever before.  I'm not using the "testing" repositories either or I'd be tempted to put it down to a funky K3B update perhaps.

If anyone else has had this issue I'd love to hear about it.

#2 2008-03-03 09:50:59

[vEX]

Re: K3B errors when verifying burned discs

Whenever I burn DVD movies from ISOs it seems to fail verifying for me, but if I burn those files as a DVD-Video project it then it says they are okay. Burning any other type seems to verify okay, it's just when I burn from DVD-movie ISOs, haven't tested regular CD ISOs though (I only burn to DVDs these days).

PC: Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | GeForce 450GTS | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux x86_64
HTPC: Antec NSK2480 | ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G) | AMD Athlon X3 425 | 8GB DDR2 | GeForce G210 | 2TB HDD | Arch Linux x86_64
Server: Raspberry Pi (model B) | 512MB RAM | 750GB HDD | Arch Linux ARM

#3 2008-03-03 23:11:16

MoonSwan

Yes it seems that, so far anyway, only ISO files are affected.  Its bugging me because I do download alot of my stuff in ISO format.  Going to try the K3B site for info.

#4 2008-03-05 02:31:04

azca

Thanks for posting this, MoonSwan. I also ran into the same problem verifying iso burns.

I'm able to successfully burn and verify using the same batch of CDs on CentOS-5.1, Fedora 8, and Debian "etch". I even downloaded the same iso to use as testing. Also, the testing iso CD passed it's own 'linux mediacheck.'

Glad I'm not the only one. (Thought I was going crazy or something lol)

#5 2008-03-05 05:11:26

MoonSwan

I've tried similar things and the K3B site revealed a mish mash of confusion on the issue as I could not find a damn thing in their bug report section.  Googling just brings up a million hits about how to verify a cd or burn and so far, nothing much more substantive.

I'm wondering if I should make a bug report to the Flyspray bug section for Arch.

#6 2008-03-05 14:38:04

tacita

I have exactly the same problem. Googling hasen't provided any useful results.  If I find anything that works I will post it here.
I'm sure its not the burner or the media or the speed as I have tested it in Windows. And I think its a K3B issue, because it dosent work on other distributions either (like PCLinuxOS).
Any other burning software that might be good?

Last edited by tacita (2008-03-05 18:29:33)

#7 2008-03-05 15:54:50

Bebo

Not sure if this is OT since I use my own script instead of K3B when burning DVDs, but I have been a pretty major player in the coaster business the last years, when burning DVDs. I think my box is too old actually (and therefore too slow...). The other day I tried to burn a DVD movie with my script which uses growisofs more or less directly, and when I succeeded I had 6 more coasters... That was a bit more than usual though, the average seems to be about 1 coaster per successful burn.

#8 2008-04-02 15:07:55

tacita

K3B still not verifying for me. It gotta be a K3B problem (or the underlying cli programs) as Nerolinux works perfectly.

#9 2008-04-05 20:39:31

ralvy

I'm tired of this problem with K3B. Is there another CD burning utility that Linux people like?

#10 2008-04-05 23:16:32

koch

same problem here.
tried it with different ISOs and different types of CDs and DVDs.
i get the error message but it seems that the burned ISOs are working without any problems here ( kubuntu-test-installation for my boss).

#11 2008-04-11 20:56:40

Bebo

One theory I have is that the iso files you're trying to burn have not been padded. I read some (2-ish) years ago that to be able to compute a correct checksum of a cd or dvd, you'd have do it like this:

BLOCKSIZE="$(isoinfo -d -i /dev/dvd | grep "^Logical block size is:" | cut -d " " -f 5)"
BLOCKCOUNT="$(isoinfo -d -i /dev/dvd | grep "^Volume size is:" | cut -d " " -f 4)"

dd if=/dev/dvd bs=$BLOCKSIZE count=$BLOCKCOUNT | md5sum -

But then you'd still not get the correct checksum if the iso had not been made with the mkisofs -pad option.

Here are some (old) texts on this:
- Coasterless DVD Burning
- Burning CD on Linux
Not sure if they are still valid, for instance concerning the read-ahead bug that the first article mentions.

When I make an iso image, I always use the -pad option, and then when I verify the image I use the method in the code block above. This works for me (except when I get input/output errors, but that's another problem). I don't use k3b very often, since I've experienced many failed burns with k3b - or k3b has at least _reported_ failed burns, due to checksum mismatches. Instead I started writing and using self-made scripts to burn stuff, so that I knew what happened - e.g. _why_ the checksum did not match.

So, even if you get mismatching checksums, the disc may be okay. To verify this, you have to both read the whole disc and look for unreadable sectors and then mount the disc and compare the files. To verify that the whole disc is readable, you can use the dd method above (if you pipe the dd output to md5sum, you'll get an md5sum on the fly smile); if you get any Input/output error lines when running the command, the disc has unreadable sectors. If you add conv=notrunc as an argument to the dd command, insert a pipe to pv (pipe viewer), and replace the md5sum command with diff -Hqs, you'll both be made very aware of the bad sectors, since dd will stop the reading when the Input/output errors occur, and you'll also compare the original data and the copy on the fly;

IMAGE="$1"

BLOCKSIZE="$(isoinfo -d -i /dev/dvd | grep "^Logical block size is:" | cut -d " " -f 5)"
BLOCKCOUNT="$(isoinfo -d -i /dev/dvd | grep "^Volume size is:" | cut -d " " -f 4)"

IMAGESIZE=$(($BLOCKSIZE * $BLOCKCOUNT))

dd if=/dev/dvd bs=$BLOCKSIZE count=$BLOCKCOUNT conv=notrunc | pv -N " Reading data" -s $IMAGESIZE | diff -Hqs - "$IMAGE"

Another variant is to use the cdck program, which checks the "quality" of a disc by timing the disc reads. This will also report if there are unreadable sectors.

If no Input/output errors are reported, the disc is ok. It the disc does not match the image checksum, you have to verify the files individually, i.e. mount the iso file and the disc and do something like diff -Hqrs /mnt/dvd /just/backed/up/files/

So, if the checksum of the disc and the iso do not match, then verify that the whole disc is readable. If the whole disc is readable, then check the individual files. If the disc is not readable or if the files don't match, you have made yourself a coaster smile

(Maybe this is to some help at least... tongue)

#12 2008-04-21 22:46:02

Dzaro

k3b does not verify for me neither and using other software to do so suck 4 me. for now i use cracked nero... suck for me too but at least i know its burned right hmm

#13 2008-04-21 23:33:23

ralvy

Fails to work for me under Arch, quite consistently (in terms of verifying writes). Works fine under Mepis 7 for me, however.

#14 2008-05-30 22:32:10

wirechief

I am having issues with k3b myself, i have tried on both my laptop and my desktop, at times i get a error about track 1 not the same as the original (or similar) and a couple of times it just hung. I am thinking the only solution for me is to install a distro that I had back in June of 2007 (ridiculous) I have also tried imageburn in wine, it is not able to find my cd/dvd wirter dispite my going through the settings. I have tried image burn in windows, it fails to give the right md5sum for arch-core-install-2008.04-rc-i686.iso  until
I can get a cd/dvd that pass's the md5sum I will not install Arch, this is a major disappointment.  I have other distros giving me the same grief with 1.0.4 kb3  ubuntu, kubuntu, kanotix.

#15 2008-05-31 00:18:13

wirechief

After rebooting to 2.6.24.14 of my kanotix I was able to get imageburn to work and it successfully compared my burn with the arch-core-install-2008.04-rc-i686.iso , from now on I will be using it instead of k3b.

#16 2008-07-31 16:53:56

violagirl23

I too am almost always having an issue with burned ISO's. Trying to write and then verify, I got only one success attempt out of five... which is just pitiful. But I'm also noticing this message appearing over and over again during the burning process when I run it through terminal:

(K3bDevice::ScsiCommand) failed: 
                           command:    READ (10) (28)
                           errorcode:  0
                           sense key:  NO SENSE (2)
                           asc:        0
                           ascq:       0
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: READ 10 failed!

Could that have anything to do with it?

"You can't just ask to borrow somebody else's lampshade. It's AWKWARD!"

Board footer