You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-05 10:51:56

dyscoria

Configuring kernel for compilation

Building my own kernel's from source is working out well so far, but there are a few questions i'd like clarified. Thanks in advance!

(1) When choosing filesystem support, do I only include the filesystem type of the root directory? In other words, to mount from the desktop environment an external USB hard drive that is in say NTFS format, would I need the NTFS module or do the modules only affect boot time filesystems?

(2) "Power Management >> ACPI Support >> Processor >> Thermal Zone". I'm trying to exclude power management completely on my laptop. It's recommended to keep thermal zone enabled, as your processor can be damaged. What exactly does this option do? Halt the system when temperature gets too high?

(3) Real Time Clock. What is its relevance and do I need it?

Last edited by dyscoria (2008-03-05 10:53:03)

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#2 2008-03-05 11:40:11

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Configuring kernel for compilation

Moved to Kernel & Hardware.

You need support for any filesystems you intend to use at any time, not just at boot time. In your example, you can include NTFS support as a module or built-in - if you leave it out altogether, you won't be able to mount your external drive.

Power management - I'll leave that to someone else, not a major concern of mine.

RTC - yes, you need it. Google has plenty of info on its relevance.

Board footer