You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-07 05:51:32

lovat

Is there a technology that can trace and count a link ?

Is there a technology that can trace and count a link ?

For Example ,how can I trace links and calculate how many times have they been clicked in CNN News ?

Or how can I calculate  which link  is the top link clicked by people all over the world ?  I need this .

Do not use Linux as desktop.

#2 2008-03-07 07:46:44

elgatofelix

Re: Is there a technology that can trace and count a link ?

Are u listening?

#3 2008-03-07 12:44:49

Endperform
Website

Is this for a page you have, or someone else's page?  If it's someone else's page, I don't think it can be done, but if it's on your own server there are scripts you can use to track how many times a link was clicked.

#4 2008-03-07 14:07:18

lovat

I want to set up this kind of website and provided the related service ,for example which link is clicked top most over the internet .
BTW HOW  does google news select its news ? Don't they choose the most clicked ones ? There must be a method .At least  google can do this .

Last edited by lovat (2008-03-07 14:08:24)

Do not use Linux as desktop.

#5 2008-03-07 15:15:20

chimeric
Website

lovat wrote:

BTW HOW  does google news select its news ? Don't they choose the most clicked ones ? There must be a method .At least  google can do this .

First, there's no way to trace how many links are "clicked" world wide (maybe there's an ancient alien race which has the technology, but we haven't met them yet wink).  You can do that for single web sites though.

The following is very simplified because I think Google uses some complex algorithms to calculate the relevance/importance of certain pages and for example their appearance in the Google News, page rank, position in search queries etc:

Google spiders the web and checks how pages link to each other by scanning the content of the spidered webpage. For example the more external pages link to a certain news item are found, the higher is its relevance. The "credibility" of these external sites probably has also an impact on how Google calculates the "relevance" of a site. For example if the New York Times links to an article, this link "weights" more than a link from any other random web page. I also believe that news sites are spidered way more often and in shorter intervals than the rest of the web to make services like Google News possible.

Board footer