You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-07 19:03:59

lilsirecho
Veteran

What category for this wiki data?

INTRODUCTION:
Flash-based systems are appearing at a fast pace. This wiki presents one way to employ flash drives in
an arch-based "LIVE" arrangement.
It is important to note that the system must operate from "IDE" in order that the flash drives utilized
are recognized as "TRUE IDE" devices thus permitting full "UDMA" operability. In addition, an
adapter having "UDMA READY" must be used to interface the Compact Flash (CF) to the IDE 80-
wire interface cable. The CF card(s) must also be "UDMA" rated.
The system herein described has no HDD's and can be described as "DISCLESS".
Two CF/IDE interfaces are utilized. When employing CF/IDE adapters, only one such device is usable
on a given IDE 80-wire cable at a time. A "slave" device can be provided on the adapter but it cannot
be connected simultaneously with a "master" CF card on the same cable.
The present 2.6 kernels include provisions which eliminate the application of 80-wire cable parameters
to IDE busses such that normal boots using standard kernels prevent "TRUE IDE" operation of the CF
card(s).....thus, the operations are limited to UDMA 2 mode even if the UDMA RATING is much
higher.
Therefore, the requirement for "IDE" operation of the system is imperative and applies to the
remainder of this "DISCLESS SYSTEM"description.
SYSTEM DETAILS:
Both the the primary and secondary IDE busses are utilized. The primary buss IDE cable has the
"boot" CF card and the secondary buss IDE cable has a cachedir CF card, each having an adapter and
connected via normal 80-wire cable. The operation of these adapters is powered by the 4-pin power
connector of the type provided to power the floppy disk peripheral device.
Some of the detailed results of performance outlined in this wiki apply to my system and its capabilities
with respect to speed and veratility. (1600mhz cpu and 3GB ram).
The system being described is arch-linux based, with larch "Live" system elements and Faunos
elements added. It utilizes pacman and aufs for its basic operational utility.
SYSTEM PHILOSOPHY:
Operate as much as possible in ram.
The primary CF card contains the boot Faunos system. It is squashfs compressed and has ~600 arch-
linux packages, includes pacman, aufs and PacTrac capability. It executes in ram as a r/o source.
The secondary CF card is used as a local cachedir to archive any and all upgrades to the operating
system. As such it enables storage of downloaded packages for use at users discretion. When loaded
into the system via pacman/aufs, the packages are decompressed into ram and operate therein, entirely
in ram.
Downloading packages into the cachedir permits the storage of several versions of a given
package...the original package is NOT OVERWRITTEN, thus flash device life is unaffected. Also,
the user can revert back to a previous version and it will be INSTALLED INTO RAM.!
SYSTEM CONSEQUENCES:
The need to "SAVE SESSION" via the Faunos system is reduced or eliminated at the users discretion
thus providing fastest reboot time.
"REBOOT" of the system without "SAVE SESSION" removes any and all packages added via the
use of the cachedir archive.
Adding packages in this manner allows checkout of new package impact on the system without
interfering with the basic boot system.
Power savings are obvious!
Downloading via mirrors (many throttled) takes much time! The power required to download
into HDD is nearly fully eliminated with no increase in delays (actual speed of CF is 40+MB/sec
for UDMA 4/5).
INSTALL from cachedir is at 40+MB/sec with UDMA 4,5.
System cache in /var/cache/pacman/pkg is not utilized.
PacTrac in Faunos provides a complete log of installed programs (including those installed to
ram by cachedir) and the last installed version as well as a listing of installable programs via
pacman. This program is inherent in Faunos boot flash device.
Additional elements of video, graphics and text can be include in the cachedir . For example, a
1GB .avi. This video file can be entered in ram via tmpfs and the player via pacman into
ram...then execution and data are all in ram. The tmpfs video file can be deleted and another
video file inserted...ad infinitum! All is readonly for the flash drives after initial install of the
video file(s) to cachedir. A text file to provide a paste of pacman install commands for cachedir
package groups is also an aid to users if incorporated in the cachedir.
Larch systems would provide a similar capability except for the PacTrac that Faunos provides.
The cachedir appears in the system as a media diak.
All USB functions are available and a USB/HDD adapter permits access to external HDD data
and storage. Also, external CD/DVD devices are similarly available although DVD play is not
clean. Best is to put .vob in files of the cachedir.
Moore's law applies to flash devices!!!!!!!!!
INSTALLATION:
This wiki is based on demonstrating the "LIVE" flash drive capabilities introduced by UDMA capable
flash devices with archlinux based operational capabilities. Therefore, an arch-based installation is
required. In this wiki, that is Faunos which is flash-installed, based on archlinux packages and Larch-
derived install parameters. A 2GB compact flash drive is recommended with adapter, either for HDD
use or a USB adapter, preferably a 2.0 unit.
Faunos is soon to be released in "STABLE" version. It is maintained by RAYMANO at
faunos.com.
The download of faunos is installed via...."dd if=(faunos downnload.img) of=/dev/sdx".......
The....of=/dev/sdx....is important.....do not use ...of=/dev/sda1 for example......
If you download the usb.img. Do not change the name of the download to ....faunos.img... because
the download has that file within it and will only address that file.
When the flash drive is first ready to be booted, do not boot on it until you have re-sized the linux
partition from 1GB to ~1500MB . Do so with gparted as root. Provide linux swap at this time if
you desire.
When ready to boot, install in primary HDD slot with adapter and set bios to recognize the flash
drive. Some flash units do not have a label, they appear as brackets [        ] but are fully functional
as boot devices.
After reaching the Desktop, the internet parameters are established in WICD.
Editing of /etc files is then accomplished as desired. Reboot and save session.
The system can then be shut down to allow install of the CF/IDE in the secondary IDE cable.
CONFIGURATION CHANGES FOR UDMA CF/IDE:
At this point, a change is necessary in the boot CF/IDE device in the primary IDE slot to enable IDE
MODE OF SYSTEM OPERATION.
    1.  Boot into Faunos.
    2.  Select "log out"
    3.  Select "end session"
    4.  "log-in" as root with root password.
    5.   With "archlinux" desktop displayed, select kwrite editor.
    6.  Go to /lib/initcpio/hooks/larch/
    7.  change: ....................line (96):
                            ....for d in /dev-sd[a-z][0-9]* ; do
       to................for d in/dev [hs]d[a-z][0-9]*; do
    1.  Edit /usr/share/larch/initcpio/mkinitcpio.conf...... as follows;
    2.  hooks="base udev fbsplash ide scsi usb larch1 larch2 larch3_aufs splashy"
    3.  Select "STORAGE DEVICES" and open the "livesys/livecd" device,
    4.  Delete file "faunos.img" to trash bin.
    5.  Perform the following to generate a new "faunos.img"
            in terminal as root: .....mkinitcpio -c mkinitcpio.conf -g faunos.img.....
        Install the faunos.img thus generated into "livesys/livecd" in the place of the original
        faunos.img.
        6. Reboot and "SAVE SESSION".
TROUBLESHOOTING:
The performance of the CF/IDE devices can be verified by use of hdparm.
All devices in "STORAGE DEVICES" are identified as "media".
See FaunOS forums for advice on boot problems or system related issues.
CACHEDIR PARAMETERS;
Loading of the cachedir via pacman is accomplished with the following command in terminal:
                            .....pacman –cachedir /media/disk -Sw (package name) ,,,,,,,
This places the named -i686.pkg.tar.gz in the cachedir. The locale of the downloaded package may be
a previously established folder, in which case the /media/disk/folderID is used in the command.
Other files of interest may also be loaded from HDD via a primary IDE install or a flash drive via USB
or an install via USB/HDD source. Additionally, pacman Syuw is usable:
                   ............pacman –cachedir /media/disk/upgrade -Syuw.........
This assumes the generated "upgrade" folder.
Subsequent installs to cachedir do not overwrite existing packages, but make new entries.
Installing the package(s) is done with the following pacman command:
                        ........pacman -Ud /media/disk/upgrade/*-i686.pkg.tar.gz...
This example assumes the -Syuw case of installing all packages. They can be individually installed as
desired.
Packages installed via pacman/aufs are in ram by default. w00t!!
MORE RESOURCES:
Full disclosures of problems and solutions is provided in the FaunOS forums which has over a
hundred registered users. This forum also includes a Larch forum hosted by Gradgrind.

I have practiced in SANDBOX but am unaware of whether that material is reproduced in any category.

How does a user generate several pages of data in a published wiki?  It does not seem apparent...much ado about editing existing wikis but no data on how to make a new one...correct me if I am wrong, please.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2008-03-07 23:01:02

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: What category for this wiki data?

I have two pages of sandbox with the data of my previous post...one appears in discussion and the other in user page.

Why can't I generate more pages?

Can I transfer these pages to a permanent wiki or do I have to do it all over again?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2008-03-09 02:26:44

lilsirecho
Veteran

Much ado about categories I note.

Perhaps in about six weeks I will be able to find one for my wiki?

Who or whom is in charge of categorizing new wikis?

This is supposed to be OS=open source, open to users too!?

#4 2008-03-09 02:39:13

lilsirecho
Veteran

Please find a category for the following:

URl...http://wiki.faunos.com/index.php/user:EDITED

It will be titled.... Discless Archlinux-based System......

Last edited by lilsirecho (2008-03-09 04:17:18)

#5 2008-03-09 02:48:55

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

This can be in Category: System Administration > Hardware > Storage and Type: Howtos

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#6 2008-03-09 03:19:35

lilsirecho
Veteran

Schievmeister;

How do I get it there from the URL?

#7 2008-03-09 03:37:49

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Have you created one yet? If not, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?tit … ction=edit Then we can have, at the top:

[[Category:Storage (English)]]
[[Category:HOWTOs (English)]]

Then just copy-paste from sandbox, or wherever else, into that page. You can follow http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?tit … ction=edit for the layout.

TADA!

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-03-09 03:41:10)

#8 2008-03-09 03:44:19

lilsirecho
Veteran

I have created it but it isn't in a normal wiki arena.  I posted the url where it is located but don't have a way to post it in the wiki arena.

If I copy and paste it no longer retains the wiki format.

How to do the transfer?

#9 2008-03-09 04:30:46

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

You mean http://wiki.faunos.com/index.php/user:EDITED ? Doesn't exist. Hmm, if you had tested everything in the sandbox then the formatting would be the same. The sandbox itself is just like a normal wiki page, so copy-paste from the edit box and not from the article or preview.

Normally what happens in the sandbox is independent, so you have to create a new "normal" page. Good stuff must not be wasted, hurry! lol

#10 2008-03-09 04:46:33

lilsirecho
Veteran

I removed the URL ID for security reasons.

I have copied the contents of the URL to a wiki page and it isn't in the right format as I stated.

Is there a way to link to a URL and install same in the wiki arena you pointed out?

#11 2008-03-09 06:19:44

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Nah that can't be done. Looks like the FaunOS wiki is different. Ok I've touched it up: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Diskless_System so you can continue from there.

Basically = = to specify headings and add more = for subsequent sub-headings. For commands, just add a space on a new line. To leave lines, use <br> to issue a break.

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-03-09 06:20:14)

#12 2008-03-09 17:42:43

lilsirecho
Veteran

Thanks for the aid and comfort.  I have visited the transferred wiki and messed up in editing.  Don't have the experience to fix it.

After it gets fixed, what is the procedure to have it entered into the category as a HOW TO....?

#13 2008-03-10 03:28:56

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Forgot to add that too, now it's there smile Just those two lines ontop will automatically add that article to those categories. It's already part of the wiki now, so just edit it if and when required.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … _(English)
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … _(English)

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-03-10 03:32:22)

#14 2008-03-10 04:47:38

lilsirecho
Veteran

Shivmeister;

Many thanks for the edit and the insertion.  At my ripe old age of 82+ I have limited energy and this effort was a big one from inception to writeup.

I am pleased with the results and expect criticism galore!!!

#15 2008-03-10 17:06:16

lilsirecho
Veteran

Shivmeister;

Since this Discless system is also a LIVE system, perhaps it has a place in the Category for Live systems .

All LIVE systems derive from previous disclosures and modifications which is certainly the case with this Discless System based on archlinux, Larch and FaunOS but with modifications which enhance operability.

As a matter of fact, FaunOS has a GUI for pacman which is very helpful for users of LIVE systems and that enhances the Discless System as well.

My feeling about archlinux installs for newbies is FaunOS which provides a much improved install system and gives the user all 600 packages at once.  Minor user entries are needed and the internet is quickly acquired.

This gives newbies a grand tour of archlinux before commiting to a HDD install.

Thus, an alternative arch install procedure could be included in the wikis based on FaunOS which seems like a great idea which should eliminate many of the install problems posted in the arch forums.

Most windows users are amazed by the performance of the USB flash install of FaunOS in their machines....

EDIT:This approach permits the user to try archlinux without disturbing the users present system and to do so with 600 packages inherent in the system......With CF/IDE installed, the HDD removed, it should enhance the users opinion of archlinux......and is non-destructive of the users present system arrangements...

Last edited by lilsirecho (2008-03-10 17:47:45)

#16 2008-03-11 06:26:33

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Hmm although it is a live system, I think technically it's more of how to achieve a live platform on a particular medium. In that sense, it isn't similar to "live distros", which I think the category "Live Arch Systems" is for.

edit: on second thought, maybe it is similar lol

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-03-11 06:28:54)

#17 2008-03-11 07:01:24

lilsirecho
Veteran

On third thought, it certainly adds a dimension providing power savings as well as utilizing an alternate archlinux install method which eliminates the hassle in getting a DE and loads much without causing an uproar with already installed operating systems.

Basically, it is FaunOS with Larch elements and both are archlinux based.  The best way to introduce archlinux is with such a LIVE install.  Raymano has demonstrated to many users the easy install of the program.

It does require adjustment of the install partition at this writing.  Items needing attention are the wicd , rc.conf and rc.local as well as setting up alsa.  These are required in all arch installs and the install of any discless items is not required.

To utilize the methods I have incorporated requires more skills...most linux users could maneuver through that should they want to utilize discless operation.  I would imagine that many could use existing CF cards even if not UDMA rated to produce a usable discless system but at a slower operating speed.  Power is minimized.

Summary statement: A Live install of FaunOS is a [u good alternative /u] starting point for new users and it opens the door to discless operation in desktop systems.  (Laptops are a different breed and may have some advantages if dual CF adapters allow both CF units to perform simultaneously).

Just a thought.......or two.....

EDIT:  The final release of Faunos is in the works..at present in test phase and posts regarding it are in testing mode rc4.  The next two weeks or so should provide the stable release of the latest FaunOS Live download as reported on the Forum.

EDIT:  Installed an Adata 266x 8GB CF in the cachedir slot today.  It runs 45+ mb/s in hdparm.  I have 1.3GB of packages installed in it, r/o in the system when installed to ram via pacman/aufs.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2008-03-11 23:51:03)

#18 2008-03-12 01:56:18

lilsirecho
Veteran

Shivmeister;

A pci IDE card would provide dual IDE CF cards for a Raid array cachedir and may indeed offer much higher speed in raid0 although the pci bandwidth is limited.   With no other cards in pci slots, its all available.

Software raid installed to ram might work for such a setup.....

EDIT:  The pci IDE works for HDD and for the cachedir CF/IDE card so two such cards would provide a raid0 array.  The added power drain for pci xard may not be as high as a HDD in the normal IDE slot.  Hdparm says 42+MB/s for the Lexar 2GB CF device.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2008-03-12 02:56:46)

#19 2008-03-14 07:43:32

lilsirecho
Veteran

Shivmeister;

Made a raid array...raid-0... with two CF cards of different sizes...one 2GB the other 8GB.

The hdparm speed increased 70% from 45 to 77 MB/sec , which is a great improvement.

It may be even better with matched units which I hope to try soon.

#20 2008-03-14 14:37:56

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

I'm gonna jump in, just bought a 2GB Sandisk. What I need now is a PCMCIA adapter big_smile

#21 2008-03-14 15:27:06

lilsirecho
Veteran

Schivmeister;

My system uses Adata 2GB 266x CF card which is guaranteed to be 40MB/sec read speed and it sells here at Fry's for $30 online.  The speed for San Disk CF cards I was unable to verify.  The high speed is only obtained with "true IDE" mode as described in the CFA specs.

The adapter must be UDMA rated also for the highest speed.  The speed rating shown in bios seems to be affected by the selection of 3.3v or 5V in desktop systems.  With the laptop, the power is supplied thru the interface connector.

Best of luck with the san disk device.

#22 2008-03-15 06:19:00

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Oh no..big fail. This one's revision 2 sad Well no matter, I can use it as testing ground first..

Contemplating on a route to take..I can take a CF-SATA and replace my notebook's HDD, but I would wanna get atleast a 32GB card then (it's only 40GB, my normal storage usually goes to another 40GB external). OR, I can get a PCMCIA IDE adapter + CF-IDE like http://cgi.ebay.com/PCMCIA-to-IDE-Adapt … dZViewItem what do you think? I'm assuming performance would decrease this way..or would it? It'd be great if there were CF PCMCIA controllers..

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-03-15 06:48:15)

#23 2008-03-16 03:28:51

lilsirecho
Veteran

Please take a look at this url:....http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/ad44midecf.asp

It is UDMA rated and should perform well in a laptop...only one CF is enabled at a time as I see it.

Board footer