You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-12 05:55:38

nkw

2.6.6 doesn't shutdown

my archlinux doesn't shutdown, could it be the problem of not installing apmd or acpi? the pc is old dell pc that only have APM, should I install acpi or apm?
The kernel is 2.6.6.

#2 2004-05-12 08:16:04

dp
Website

Re: 2.6.6 doesn't shutdown

try acpi=off for boot-option

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-05-12 08:52:08

bogomipz

Sounds like you box has APM, not ACPI. The latter is a newer standard. You don't need to install any package for this.

If dp's suggestion doesn't help, try using the apm=power-off kernel option. Put it in the append="" entry in /etc/lilo.conf if you use lilo or append it on the end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst if you use grub. Don't forget to rerun lilo if that's what you use.

If that doesn't work you can try apm=real-mode-poweroff instead (CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set for the stock kernel. I'm not sure if that means the code for real mode is not compiled in or just that it isn't used by default. My guess is the latter)

Hope this helps.
-bogomipz

All of your mips are belong to us!!

#4 2004-05-12 12:08:09

IceRAM
Website

My Arch does not reboot. Every time a try rebooting it simply stops, like reboot=poweroff(for Arch). This happened to ever every time since I'm running Arch.

My computer has an old BIOS but it did well under WinMe. I've noticed that it turns off ACPI even though the BIOS supports it. I've turned it on with "acpi=force" but I still can't reboot (& I shutdown my computer by choosing reboot). I think shutdowning makes it freeze, never tried it in a month or so.. I got used to "rebooting" instead of shutdowning.

#5 2004-05-12 19:23:22

dp
Website

it can be helpfull checking the internet on how to run linux on your hardware (maybe others have experience with it with linux) and then try to boot with special apm-options (or even rebuild the kernel)

#6 2004-05-13 23:12:20

nkw

I've tried all the options above and they seem not work. My PC used to can be shutdown when it's installed Mandrake 9.1 9.2 10, and Redhat 8.

When I issue the "shutdown now -h", everything seems work normal and finally it shows:

> POWER OFF
md: stopping all md devices.
md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
Shutdown: hda
Power down.

Then the system hang....

If press the Ctl-Alt-Del key, the line

will be shown again and system reboot.... (however, ctrl-Scroll Lock will show the call stacks....)

#7 2004-05-13 23:34:41

dp
Website

nkw wrote:

I've tried all the options above and they seem not work. My PC used to can be shutdown when it's installed Mandrake 9.1 9.2 10, and Redhat 8.

When I issue the "shutdown now -h", everything seems work normal and finally it shows:

> POWER OFF
md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
Shutdown: hda
Power down.

Then the system hang....

If press the Ctl-Alt-Del key, the line

will be shown again and system reboot.... (however, ctrl-Scroll Lock will show the call stacks....)

after the message Power down. you can turn off your computer savely ... it's shuted-down, but apm or acpi did not managed to power-off it ... so you must have a look at these things

you said that it worked on other distros? can you check what boot-options there were? (for acpi or apm)

#8 2004-05-14 00:47:01

nkw

I already removed the old Linux on my PC so I cannot find the parameters now. I am kind of doubt the new kernel has some problem with Intel BX chipset...

I used to install ArchLinux under the Virtual PC, which emulate an Intel BX (it's so called most stable compatible platform)based PC, and it can be shutdown and swich off automatically, however, the shutdown will hangs (even end task under Windows XP cannot kill the Virtual PC) after I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.5 and 2.6.6.... Same as my current Dell XPS R350 which is BX chipset based too...

(btw, although i can manually switch off the pc, but sometime i need remote login my PC and shutdown the PC)

#9 2004-05-14 11:25:36

IceRAM
Website

nkw wrote:

I am kind of doubt the new kernel has some problem with Intel BX chipset...

P.S. I have an Intel BX chipset too. (check my previous post in the same topic)

Board footer