You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-11 11:32:37

blackbird

Some questions before I install Awesome WM

Hi,

I'm new to Arch and relatively new to Linux in general but I do enjoy tinkering with it.

Recently I have tried many different window managers, Gnome, KDE, Openbox and Fluxbox, each of which have their own little perks. However whilst browsing through the monthly screen shot threads I stumbled upon something new, something I haven't heard of; tiling window managers. I find the idea behind them to be innovative and would like to give them a try, particularly Awesome WM, before I do so I have a few questions outlined below.

1). I understand that a mouse is not needed, which can be a good thing but an obstacle as well depending on what I want to do. What I would like to ask is that can you keep the mouse functionality as well such as the cursor, left click, right click and possibly the scroll wheel? (Is this possible in both Xmonad and Awesome WM)

2). Can you have a panel so that you can either easily launch your applications or when you minimize say pidgin you can see its status icon?

3). Most of the screen shots I have seen show all these terminal windows running, I assume thats just for show. You can run gui based aps too such as something for burning cds, openoffice, firefox and other gtk aps?

4). If neither apply to Awesome WM, could you point me in the direction of a tiling window manager more tailored for my needs.

Please only leave helpful comments, I don't want to hear comments such as why do you want to use Awesome WM if your planning on running gui aps or don't want to run their terminal alternatives....Linux is about choice and I am entitled to my own as are you.

If you can help that would be "awesome".

PS: Please excuse the rather verbose post; its a problem of mine, hopefully one you come to find endearing.

Last edited by blackbird (2008-03-11 11:50:19)

#2 2008-03-11 11:57:43

chimeric
Website

Re: Some questions before I install Awesome WM

blackbird wrote:

1). I understand that a mouse is not needed, which can be a good thing but an obstacle as well, depending on what I want to do. What I would like to ask is that can you keep the mouse functionality as well such as the cursor, left click, right click and possibly the scroll wheel? (Is this possible in both Xmonad and Awesome WM)

Yes. You can also add functionality, like for example Mod4 + middle mouse click could open a terminal.

blackbird wrote:

2). Can you have a panel so that you can either easily launch your applications or when you minimize say pidgin you can see its status icon?

Yes. There are lots of different panels, like pypanel or trayer, if you just need the tray icons (status icons) of an application. But you can also define shortcuts to launch apps, and there's dmenu, a flexible yet easy to use program launcher which I use mainly.

blackbird wrote:

3). Most of the screen shots I have seen show all these terminal windows running, I assume thats just for show. You can run gui based aps too such as something for burning cds, openoffice, firefox and other gtk aps?

Yes. These apps can be run just like in any other WM.

#3 2008-03-11 12:52:17

blackbird

Thank you chimeric, I will have a look into pypanel and dmenu.

I think you have misunderstood my question about the usability of the mouse, or perhaps more likely I have not conveyed my question properly.

Your response leads me to believe that I was asking if Awesome WM lets you assign shortcuts to the mouse, such as your very own example where a combination of mod4 and middle click would launch the terminal. What I intended to ask was whether you could use the mouse like you use it in other environments such as Gnome...where moving the mouse would move a cursor on your screen, left click would be used to select a window, move it around...etc.

To further clarify say in Firefox I want to go to bookmarks >> my folder >> bookmark I want, normally I would use the mouse to click bookmarks, select my folder and finalize my choice by clicking my bookmark, is this available in awesome WM?

Last edited by blackbird (2008-03-11 12:53:57)

#4 2008-03-11 13:09:29

chimeric
Website

blackbird wrote:

Your response leads me to believe that I was asking if Awesome WM lets you assign shortcuts to the mouse, such as your very own example where a combination of mod4 and middle click would launch the terminal. What I intended to ask was whether you could use the mouse like you use it in other environments such as Gnome...where moving the mouse would move a cursor on your screen, left click would be used to select a window, move it around...etc.

Well I said "Yes." wink. The mouse behaves exactly like in other WMs and additionally you can add other functionality if you like. "Moving windows" is a little different in tiling window managers because windows aren't supposed to be moved around with the mouse, because the WM arranges them for you. However, in most tiling WMs, windows can have a special state named "floating", which means the WM isn't responsible how the window is placed on the screen and you can move it around freely (with the mouse). This is for example useful for applications like mplayer, vlc, gimp or gajim.

#5 2008-03-11 13:59:50

blackbird

chimeric wrote:
blackbird wrote:

Well I said "Yes." wink. The mouse behaves exactly like in other WMs and additionally you can add other functionality if you like. "Moving windows" is a little different in tiling window managers because windows aren't supposed to be moved around with the mouse, because the WM arranges them for you. However, in most tiling WMs, windows can have a special state named "floating", which means the WM isn't responsible how the window is placed on the screen and you can move it around freely (with the mouse). This is for example useful for applications like mplayer, vlc, gimp or gajim.

Brilliant; thanks for the clarification, I just hope nothing extra is required to obtain this functionality. Well if anything else is required that wont be a problem considering how good the Linux community is.

Thanks again

PS: There is a slight drawback to using Awesome WM though; whenever you google something about awesome wm you get results about people stating how awesome their window managers are, not specifically awesome wm lol. Everything comes at a price.

Last edited by blackbird (2008-03-11 14:01:27)

#6 2008-03-11 16:09:24

ScriptDevil

Somehow, I like wmii more than any other im sad Yeah... Xmonad is a close second..
Reasons
1) Dmenu
2) Stack mode/Default mode/ Full Screen Mode
3)  Superb Keystrokes
4) Dynamic Reconfigurability
5) wmiir

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#7 2008-03-11 16:20:06

ph0tios

blackbird wrote:
chimeric wrote:
blackbird wrote:

Brilliant; thanks for the clarification, I just hope nothing extra is required to obtain this functionality. Well if anything else is required that wont be a problem considering how good the Linux community is.

Thanks again

PS: There is a slight drawback to using Awesome WM though; whenever you google something about awesome wm you get results about people stating how awesome their window managers are, not specifically awesome wm lol. Everything comes at a price.

Nothing extra is required....just already preconfigured keystrokes do the job.

Last edited by ph0tios (2008-03-11 16:20:22)

#8 2008-03-11 20:32:45

jonkristian
Website

ScriptDevil wrote:

Somehow, I like wmii more than any other im sad Yeah... Xmonad is a close second..
Reasons
1) Dmenu
2) Stack mode/Default mode/ Full Screen Mode
3)  Superb Keystrokes
4) Dynamic Reconfigurability
5) wmiir

There is nothing in that list that awesome doesn't do, except maybe 5, which i wouldn't know anything about big_smile

PROCRASTINATION
is like masturbation...it's good in the beginning, but in the end, you realize
you've just fkd yourself

#9 2008-03-11 21:28:03

Sjoden
Website

Speaking of panels, in the Community Contributions section of the forums, there is  thread about a panel called bmpanel. It is extremely easy to configure and theme, can look all pretty, or very minimalistic, and worth checking out. I'm currently using it in PekWM.

Also, there are programs called tint/ttm and visibility which you also may be interested in.

-Zack

Board footer