You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-11 14:54:11

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

modprobing acpi-cpufreq fails

I'm trying to load the module acpi-cpufreq, but it keeps failing:

$ sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq
FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device

however:

$ ls /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/ | grep acpi
acpi-cpufreq.ko

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#2 2008-03-11 18:40:40

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: modprobing acpi-cpufreq fails

This same thing happened to me over the weekend. I simply didn't have speedstep enabled in the BIOS.

#3 2008-03-11 18:42:27

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Ah crap! That sounds complicated to me. I have no clue about how to handle BIOS settings (apart from booting from CD).

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#4 2008-03-11 18:47:52

dyscoria

Nah, its dead easy usually. Once you get into your BIOS, just browse around all over the place (probably under some sort of 'power management' section) and find speedstep or whatever it's called for your CPU and enable.

What CPU have you got actually and is it speedstep capable? I think there are different modules for different CPU's too.

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#5 2008-03-11 18:49:50

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I have an Intel Pentium 4, and I don't know much about this subject, but I read somewhere that P4 supports speedstep...

Have you Syued today?

#6 2008-03-11 18:58:35

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Ok, I've just checked the BIOS settings, and there's no such a thing as speedstep sad

Have you Syued today?

#7 2008-03-11 19:10:39

fwojciec

On my old pentium 4 laptop "acpi_cpufreq" didn't work, I had to use the "p4-clockmod" module -- if I remember correctly.

#8 2008-03-11 19:15:12

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Is it the same thing in functionality?

Edit:
Well, that worked, thanks big_smile
Now I gotta figure out how to use it, my CPU is stuck at 325MHz tongue

Last edited by finferflu (2008-03-11 19:19:57)

Have you Syued today?

#9 2008-03-11 19:26:45

fwojciec

I don't know -- but the error you are getting doesn't say that the module is not found but that there is no device on your system which works with acpi_cpufreq module, so you have to find module that will work with your processor and p4-clockmod may be the only option in your case.

#10 2008-03-11 19:28:25

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah it's working. I'm now dealing with acpid that fails to start, so I have problems running cpufreqd, but cpufreq runs just fine.

Edit
Nevermind. It failed because it was already running hmm
I shouldn't post while the work is in progress, it only ruins my public image tongue

Last edited by finferflu (2008-03-11 19:30:53)

Have you Syued today?

#11 2008-03-11 19:58:06

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Ok, since I'm here, I might as well ask. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do. I have now an applet on my gnome-panel that allows me to switch between modes: conservative, ondemand, performance, and powesave. I'm not so expert about hardware. Can anyone give me some hints or point me to an easy tutorial (i.e. not too much technical jargon)?

Thanks smile

Have you Syued today?

#12 2008-03-11 20:02:13

dyscoria

finferflu wrote:

Ok, since I'm here, I might as well ask. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do. I have now an applet on my gnome-panel that allows me to switch between modes: conservative, ondemand, performance, and powesave. I'm not so expert about hardware. Can anyone give me some hints or point me to an easy tutorial (i.e. not too much technical jargon)?

Thanks smile

Do you just mean what the modes are? This article has a short description of each one. I assume that if the gnome-panel applet can select a mode, the module is already loaded. So all that you've got to do now is select the mode you want. Powersave is best for a very hot summer, ondemand is best for general use (you won't notice any slowdown).

knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#13 2008-03-11 20:08:18

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks dyscoria, that's what I was looking for smile
However I can notice slowdonws with the ondemand mode. For example now that I'm typing, the frequency is at about 325 MHz and I can see there is some delay for the characters being printed on the screen. Scrolling the browser's page is choppy and slow. I guess my CPU is slow at changing its frequency...

Have you Syued today?

#14 2008-03-11 22:50:49

dyscoria

Hmmm, 325mhz does seem a little low a frequency to have tongue

I'm not noticing any slowdown with ondemand because i'm using a core 2 duo with the minimum frequency of 800mhz on each processor. My BIOS has the range fixed at 1.2-2ghz so maybe its even higher big_smile

I guess unless you really need a cooler CPU (do you know the average temp that your CPU runs at?) you can just select performance, and use ondemand for the summer. I think cpu's are supposed to be able to take up to 70C/158F without a problem anyways.

Last edited by dyscoria (2008-03-11 22:51:20)

#15 2008-03-12 05:46:21

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, I've set the minimum frequency to 975 MHz, so now I can run the ondemand mode without slowdowns smile

Have you Syued today?

#16 2008-03-15 18:55:51

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Ok, after my lappy died, I have bought a new one. Same problem.
This time my processor is an Intel Celeron M:

$ sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq
FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device
$ sudo modprobe speedstep_centrino
FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (/lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko): No such device

Is it possible at all to scale cpu frequency on an Intel Celeron M? I was able to do it on a 5 year old processor, it would be odd if I couldn't with a brand new one.

Thanks for your time smile

Have you Syued today?

#17 2008-03-15 19:05:29

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#18 2008-03-15 19:21:15

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

LOL! I thought that module was for old processors only so I didn't dare trying it...
Thanks a lot schivmeister smile

Have you Syued today?

Board footer