You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-17 11:12:49

iphitus
Forum Fellow

CD Laser Cleaners

My DVD burner (Pioneer DVR111-DBK) died a few months back. Frustrating, as i rarely used it, and it was only 18 months old -- 6 months outside warranty. I'd since put it back in a few times to get it working -- no luck.

Stumbled across a laser cleaner for $5 today, and figured -- what the hell, if it works, if it works, it'll save me $35 for a new drive. I was completely skeptical, they seem pretty dodgy and I've heard a lot of people say the same. I didn't expect it to work, but it was worth a try for curiosity alone.

Came home... started the computer, popped the disc in..... and soon enough, VLC came up playing the DVD video on the cleaner disc.

Now my drive works again.

#2 2008-03-17 11:35:35

bones
Website

Re: CD Laser Cleaners

Thanks for the heads up. I've got a couple of dead drives in my box of bits and pieces that I have collected over the years, will give it a try and keep my fingers crossed. With any luck I'll have at least a spare or two to throw into a couple of spare boxes that are lying around.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#3 2008-03-30 15:53:38

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: CD Laser Cleaners

q-tip + 96% works. I did that on my laptop's slimdrive after a 3 year old with fatty fingers got a hand on it (literaly)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer