You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-18 08:04:02

synthead

[solved] Problem with the TV out function on the ATI catalyst drivers

This thread probably isn't what you're expecting ... it's not that I can't get the drivers to work with the TV.  I can't turn the TV off!

Here's the deal.  I enabled a TV so my friend can show me tanks and combat helicopters on the picture tube.  Then we turned the TV off, and ever since, the catalyst drivers have been really glitchy.  We used the TV as an extended desktop, so normally, when the TV is present, the cursor would travel over to display 2, the TV, when it was moved past the right side of screen 1, the monitor.  But at the moment, if you move the cursor over to the side of the screen, it "sticks" there.  You can see one pixel width of it, but you have to move the mouse the same amount back to have it back on the screen.  It's weird.

But scratch that, the real problem is that I can't turn the TV off.  In XFCE, the desktops in the desktop switcher are twice as wide like the TV is there.  But in the catalyst drivers, it can't even see the TV.  In fact, the "enable this display" section of the manager that relates to the TV is ghosted.  When I'm not using the catalyst driver and instead using the open-source "ati" driver, this problem doesn't occur.  And as a test, I started X as root and it has the same issue, so this is a global setting.  I guess what I'm asking is, 'where are the config files?'  I can't find them anywhere.  I could do the old rm -r and start with fresh catalyst configs - I would not mind that at all.

Sorry for being so rambly, my mind is orbiting Earth.

Last edited by synthead (2008-03-27 17:34:49)

#2 2008-03-18 14:17:43

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [solved] Problem with the TV out function on the ATI catalyst drivers

Catalyst uses two places to store information - first is xorg.conf, but xorg.conf can be overridden by aticonfig or amdcccle, which store their information in /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

The "quick" solution would be to blow away /etc/ati/amdpcsdb and have it recreate that from scratch - the "saner" solution would probably be to use aticonfig's options to enable single-display mode - something like --desktopsetup single or something - don't know for sure.  Check aticonfig --help to figure it out

Last edited by Cerebral (2008-03-25 12:20:49)

#3 2008-03-25 02:52:00

synthead

Great!  I'll have another look when I'm on the machine next.

#4 2008-03-27 17:34:34

synthead

Cerebral wrote:

Catalyst uses two places to store information - first is xorg.conf, but xorg.conf can be overridden by aticonfig or amdcccle, which store their information in /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

The "quick" solution would be to blow away /etc/ati/amdpcsdb and have it recreate that from scratch - the "saner" solution would probably be to use aticonfig's options to enable single-display mode - something like --desktopsetup single or something - don't know for sure.  Check aticonfig --help to figure it out

worked like a champ, thanks!

Board footer