You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-18 11:18:31

dyscoria

Penguin Suicide Bombers

From this website. A quick summary for you:

First and foremost, the open source movement is to some degree a rejection and opposition to the direct capitalization of software but is perhaps more specifically and correctly defined as the rejection and opposition to what is perceived to be a "unipolar, capitalistic superpower", in this case Microsoft.

Second, the open source movement is organized as a loose confederation in which a relatively small percentage of highly skilled and charismatic leaders [e.g. Linus Torvalds & Eric Raymond] exert influence over legions of faceless, and often fanatical, volunteers [e.g. us].

Third, the open source movement by and large uses crude propaganda and hate-filled rhetoric to defame and demonize its opposition...there is even advocacy of sending Windows users to concentration camps or purposefully spamming their email with viruses.

Fourth, a favorite tactic of the open source movement is the use of fear as a weapon...by claiming that Microsoft systems are inherently insecure or inferior in terms of security.

Fifth, the open source movement often skirts the boundaries of the law with its open disregard and disdain for intellectual property rights (patents), association with criminal hacking elements (whose primary motivator is also often an attempt to damage or humiliate Microsoft), open advocacy of harm to Windows users (outright support or at least turning a blind eye towards Windows virus creators) and even outright theft, such as Bruce Peren's self-admitted "stealing time from Pixar to work on Linux".

Given these five characteristics, there is one and only one inescapable conclusion. The open source movement most closely resembles a terrorist organization...I am not aware of any other entity, group or idea that matches these five primary characteristics of the open source movement as exactly as terrorist organizations.

Teh lolz big_smile

Last edited by dyscoria (2008-03-18 11:18:52)

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#2 2008-03-18 18:04:55

Shaika-Dzari
Website

Re: Penguin Suicide Bombers

Wow!

This kind of blog always make me laught.

The Objective Observer follows a single tenet, to approach all topics in a logical and objective fashion and to follow each argument or point to its logical conclusion.

lol They seem to know the thruth.
Seriously, his opinion is not very "Objective" tongue

#3 2008-03-18 18:19:34

B-Con
Website

#4 2008-03-18 22:45:43

freakcode
Website

Is that site serious (in the way that the author is not being ironic)?

#5 2008-03-19 02:50:04

bones
Website

Did I miss something or did somebody forget to lock the gate at the nuthouse

Last edited by bones (2008-03-19 04:26:41)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#6 2008-03-19 03:37:20

skottish
Forum Fellow

A whois search brought up the name Greg Deckler. He's interested in IT ethics:

http://www.gregdeckler.com/

#7 2008-03-19 07:52:26

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Interested in ethics, but only if it benefits corporate America. And certainly not interested in freedom it seems.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#8 2008-03-19 20:32:22

briest

Have you read Engineers of Jihad?

We (...) find that engineers alone are strongly over-represented among graduates in violent groups (...)

#9 2008-03-20 01:08:57

B-Con
Website

freakcode wrote:

I have yet to figure that out. I've shown it to a few people and have gotten split votes both ways. If it's legit, the guy is just insanely stupid. If he's fake, he's going through a lot of trouble to get all those comments posted, plus he's beating a dead horse (I mean, you can only take jokes *so* far). It looks fake at first glance, but further reading makes you think he's serious. So I honestly don't know. I've even e-mailed him, but got no response.

#10 2008-03-20 03:47:50

freakcode
Website

B-Con wrote:
freakcode wrote:

I have yet to figure that out. I've shown it to a few people and have gotten split votes both ways. If it's legit, the guy is just insanely stupid. If he's fake, he's going through a lot of trouble to get all those comments posted, plus he's beating a dead horse (I mean, you can only take jokes *so* far). It looks fake at first glance, but further reading makes you think he's serious. So I honestly don't know. I've even e-mailed him, but got no response.

I vote for fake, but writing in a very serious fashion - so he can troll around, gain audience and win some advertising $$$. Pretty much like Dvorak.

But if it's true... man, the guy is sick.

#11 2008-03-20 15:33:26

dunc

freakcode wrote:

I vote for fake, but writing in a very serious fashion - so he can troll around, gain audience and win some advertising $$$

+1. I'm 99% sure it's fake. What I can't decide is whether he's a real conservative playing up to the stereotype for laughs, badly (this guy shows how to do it properly), or a liberal trying to make some kind of satirical point, badly. Either way, it's pretty lame.

0 Ok, 0:1

#12 2008-03-20 17:18:25

MrWeatherbee

Wikipedia lists Shelley Goodman, aka Shelley the Republican, as "a satirical, fictional blogger":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi … epublicans

though I believe there are plenty of people who would still debate this.

If so, maybe this could be definitive proof for the parody-impaired:

http://friendlyatheist.com/2006/12/01/s … -debunked/

The above linked page summarizes another's Wayback research in which an STH.com page was found containing this text:

shellytherepublican.com--May 6, 2006 wrote:

ShelleyTheRepublican.com is a satirical entertainment web site.

…

Shelley's views are outrageous, offensive and wrong, but no more so than the right-wing pundits that saturate our media. The purpose of this website is to point out how utterly absurd these right-wing views are. The fact that you had a lingering doubt that she was "for real" meant that you too agree that Shelley's opinions reflect what some Republicans actually believe.

…

If you don't find it funny, we kindly ask you to leave. If you don't want to leave, we beg you not to ruin the joke for others.

Please note that Wayback's archive page is also missing now (Blocked Site Error), so perhaps the mystery can continue, assuming the above quoted material was fabricated to confuse us all even further. smile

#13 2008-03-20 19:34:01

B-Con
Website

MrWeatherbee wrote:

Wikipedia lists Shelley Goodman, aka Shelley the Republican, as "a satirical, fictional blogger":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi … epublicans

though I believe there are plenty of people who would still debate this.

If so, maybe this could be definitive proof for the parody-impaired:

http://friendlyatheist.com/2006/12/01/s … -debunked/

The above linked page summarizes another's Wayback research in which an STH.com page was found containing this text:

shellytherepublican.com--May 6, 2006 wrote:

ShelleyTheRepublican.com is a satirical entertainment web site.

…

Shelley's views are outrageous, offensive and wrong, but no more so than the right-wing pundits that saturate our media. The purpose of this website is to point out how utterly absurd these right-wing views are. The fact that you had a lingering doubt that she was "for real" meant that you too agree that Shelley's opinions reflect what some Republicans actually believe.

…

If you don't find it funny, we kindly ask you to leave. If you don't want to leave, we beg you not to ruin the joke for others.

Please note that Wayback's archive page is also missing now (Blocked Site Error), so perhaps the mystery can continue, assuming the above quoted material was fabricated to confuse us all even further. smile

Ah, interesting. Didn't think to check for long-ago archived pages.

I promise not to tell anyone else.

Board footer