You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-20 14:41:20

bgc1954

E17 question for pressh

Just wondering if you could enlighten me--no pun intended--as to what would cause the flashing red box in the top border of a window.  I noticed when looking at the deconstructed .edj theme file that the red box is a titlebar hung icon but it doesn't appear to affect anything.  Once in awhile it shows up and goes away after a few seconds. Flashing red boxes can be annoying though as something flashing red is not usually a good thing.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#2 2008-03-20 21:44:30

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: E17 question for pressh

If you have a question only for me, it's better to send me a mail.

On to your question. Let me be the first one to say that flashing red boxes are annoying. If it's a good or bad thing I'm not sure, that's personal I think.

How does it work (more or less)?
E17 sends ping signals to each window. If the window does not respond, this window is marked as hung (so you have that flashing red box). If one of the next couple of pings results in a respond from the window, the status is set to unhung, and the flashing red box does disappear. If the window is hung for an x amount of seconds (I'm not sure how many), the kill signal is send to the window if I'm correct.

Now the good thing about e17 is that you can configure everything to your liking (though sometimes it requires a bit of work). It should be not hard though to edit your favorite theme to exclude the hung border (or change it to something less annoying). Some themes even don't include it.

#3 2008-03-20 23:37:03

bgc1954

Thanks for the explanation.  smile

I thought about emailing you but wasn't sure if that was the right way.  Now I know.  With something this specific I guess an email would have been better but who knows if someone else was wondering about this as well.  I'll keep this in mind if something specific comes up in the future.

You're right though, I can think of a few solutions to get rid of the flashing red box.  Glad it's nothing serious.

Thanks again.

Edit: By the way, what's the best way to notify you about e-cvs problems?

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-03-20 23:39:54)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#4 2008-03-20 23:54:21

pressh
Developer/TU

bgc1954 wrote:

Edit: By the way, what's the best way to notify you about e-cvs problems?

For packaging bugs or feature requests to community section of the archlinux bug tracker.

General questions: forum
Personal questions: mail

If unsure which category your question is, choose one which you think is best smile

[edit]

bgc1954 wrote:

With something this specific I guess an email would have been better but who knows if someone else was wondering about this as well.  I'll keep this in mind if something specific comes up in the future.

Well, actually it was quite a good question for the forum (though an e-mail is harder to miss for me and would also be perfectly fine). I was mostly referring to the title of the post. Imagine what would happen if lots of people post questions which such titles cool

Last edited by pressh (2008-03-21 00:00:26)

#5 2008-03-21 11:01:25

bgc1954

pressh wrote:
I was mostly referring to the title of the post. Imagine what would happen if lots of people post questions which such titles

Point taken

Board footer