You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-21 02:30:42

crutch52

Sierra aircard 880U wireless card (3G) not working

This is a copy of a question I posted at linuxquestions.org

Hi, I'm fairly ignorant with regards to networking, and I've been struggling to connect to the telstra bigpond network in Australia via their wireless service for the last few weeks.

When I first got the modem, the data light flashed as expected (slow flashing if their was no signal, on when there was). The modules to go with the modem were included with the stock 2.6.24 kernel (which is what I'm using). I'm order to connect to bigpond I had to use a Windows computer to create an account (Telstra didn't provide any other way) This worked OK but ever since the data light on the modem has remained off (except for a brief flash when I plug it in) and I have been unable to establish a connection with my linux machine. Does anyone know anything about this?

#2 2009-06-10 05:01:41

onthejob

Re: Sierra aircard 880U wireless card (3G) not working

hello, i have the sierra 880u working in gentoo using wvdial. it's with telstra rather than bigpond but the modem itself does work with the linux kernel. what happens when you try to connect and what do you use to connect with?

a few things you might try first is see if you have the right driver module selected in your kernel;
#lsmod
if sierra is not listed try;
#modprobe sierra
if you get a message "FATAL: Module sierra not found." then the sierra driver is probably not selected.
in the kernel it is in
Device Drivers>>>USB support>>>USB Serial Converter support>>> USB Sierra Wireless Driver. i have it selected as a module rather than built in.
try a few of these things iout... at least you'll know what doesn't work.

Board footer