You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-23 04:47:53

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

[Solved]gnome-system-tools You are not allowed access to sys config

I did a FTP install of i686 Arch Linux on a friend's machine.  I could not get gnome-system-tools to work, keep getting:

The configuration could not be loaded
You are not allowed access to the system configuration

So, I tried gnome-system-tools on an i686 Arch install on my machine, and gnome-system-tools worked.  Then I did a pacman -Syu  and fully updated the system.  The updates included udev which now prints how long udev events took on boot up.  After the updates, gnome-system-tools no longer works.  Same symptoms as the new install.

Both machines have stbd in the /etc/rc.conf DAEMONS line.  Both the user and root in both machines are part of the stb-admin group.  Using gksu or launching as root in a terminal window results in the same problem.  The problem seems to be in system-tools-backends which works in conjuntion with dbus as I get this error:

(time-admin:7607): Liboobs-WARNING **: There was an unknown error communicating with the backends:
Process /usr/share/system-tools-backends-2.0/scripts/SystemToolsBackends.pl exited with status 127

gnome-system-tools and system-tools-backends are part of the community group, so as far as I know, writing a bug report is out.  Both gnome-system-tools and system-tools-backends are out of date in community.  system-tools-backends is version 2.4.1 and the current version is 2.6.0.  I tried using makepkg to compile the new 2.6.0 version of system-tools-backends but it fails saying it needs dbus >= 1.1.2 but version of dbus is 1.0.2.  So it appears that dbus is out of date also.  That is a far as I got.

I know this has been a problem in the past, but I got it working until this latest update. 

Anyone got any ideas on this?

Pudge

Last edited by Pudge (2008-03-23 15:35:29)

#2 2008-03-23 06:13:51

ora

Re: [Solved]gnome-system-tools You are not allowed access to sys config

I have the same problem,
I don't know whether it's related to dbus or perl.
any help?:rolleyes:

#3 2008-03-23 06:40:33

Allan
Pacman
Website

You can report a bug for community packages.  Just use the "community" section of the bug tracker.

Did you try just rebuilding system-tools-backends and gnome-system-tools (the current versions in community)?

#4 2008-03-23 08:20:41

ora

thanks. yaourt -Sb system-tools-backends  works

#5 2008-03-23 08:50:43

Allan
Pacman
Website

If that fixed it, then you should really file a bug report asking for it to be rebuilt.  That way you help out everybody else too...

#6 2008-03-23 15:02:09

Shadowed

same problem here...solved with yaourt -Sb system-tools-backends ...

thank you

#7 2008-03-23 15:33:36

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

When I entered the Original Post, I had rebuilt gnome-system-tools as this had fixed the problem the last time.  When I went to rebuild system-tools-backends, I had decided I needed to try and build the latest version of it, which didn't work as stated above.  By this time the lateness of the hour, and the current frustration level caused me to quit for the night and write this thread.  I am fairly sure I did NOT rebuild the current system-tools-backends.

Anyway, deleting gnome-system-tools and system-tools-backends, then rebuilding the current version of both gnome-system-tools and system-tools-backends fixed the problem.   Be sure to follow the post installation comments from system-tools-backends.

I wrote a bug report in the AUR.

Bug Report

Thanks for everybody's help and suggestions.

Pudge

#8 2008-03-25 17:40:54

cnshzj007
Website

Ok. Thanks for helping.
But the sources is so slow to download.

#9 2008-05-03 01:31:56

methuselah

Pudge wrote:

When I entered the Original Post, I had rebuilt gnome-system-tools as this had fixed the problem the last time.  When I went to rebuild system-tools-backends, I had decided I needed to try and build the latest version of it, which didn't work as stated above.  By this time the lateness of the hour, and the current frustration level caused me to quit for the night and write this thread.  I am fairly sure I did NOT rebuild the current system-tools-backends.

Anyway, deleting gnome-system-tools and system-tools-backends, then rebuilding the current version of both gnome-system-tools and system-tools-backends fixed the problem.   Be sure to follow the post installation comments from system-tools-backends.

I wrote a bug report in the AUR.

Bug Report

Thanks for everybody's help and suggestions.

Pudge

I've had the same problem with my users-admin and users-time... I've tried all the fixes from most of these posts... except for that string of code that someone wrote in this post: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42910

for file in `pacman -Ql gnome-system-tools | grep desktop | cut -d" " -f2`; do cat $file | sudo sed 's/\(^Exec=\)\(.*-admin\)/\1gksudo \2/g' | sudo tee temp.desktop.tmp; sudo mv temp.desktop.tmp $file; done

I wasn't sure what this string actually would do, so I haven't tried it yet. I figured there would be an easier way of fixing this problem. Like a simple edit in the SystemToolsBackends.pl file.....

any help would be cool.

Board footer