You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-24 02:44:49

ccoxiv

Irritating console issue

For some reason when I jump through the history of commands I've used (no matter whether under a pure console or GUI console program), it sometimes "jumps" the text over five spaces.  It is hard to tell where the actual command starts when it does this.  This started when I recently re-installed Arch Linux.  I used the 2007-08-2 Core install CD.  I have two computers that I installed this version of Arch Linux on and both are having the same problem (one uses the KDEmod packages and the other uses Xfce).

I've also tried editing my .bashrc to change my PS1 command line parameter to add five spaces before where I type the command, but it still adds five more spaces after that point.

I realize it is a somewhat minor problem, but it would be nice to have it fixed.

By the way, the previous Arch Linux install I had on one of the computers did not have this problem.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

#2 2008-03-24 03:42:34

jbromley

Re: Irritating console issue

What is your PS1? If you have PROMPT_COMMAND set, what is its value? I've found these type of spacing problems usually occur when I've had unbalanced /[ \] in my prompt.

Regards,
j

#3 2008-03-24 14:22:40

ccoxiv

Re: Irritating console issue

It works.  All I did was do a Google search, which led me to this site:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-C … 0033.shtml

I added the color codes they suggested to colorize my prompt as it has been, and I changed the PS1 parameter to match.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Board footer