You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-17 12:18:26

Haakon

Suggestion: integrated Changelog for packages

I searched this forum and couldn't find it suggested before, although it may be a little obvious:

When pacman upgrade packages, I often wonder what has changed. To find out, I have to look at the homepage of the program if it's a new version, or check ABS CVS commit logs if it's a new pkgrel. Wouldn't it be nice to have something like 'pacman -Qc foo' or 'pacman --query --changelog foo' that would dump a changelog for the package? I know both RPM and Portage has this, it's very handy. Are there plans for this?

Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

#2 2004-05-17 13:47:17

lanrat

Re: Suggestion: integrated Changelog for packages

Check the forums. I think it was discussed already some time ago. But I'm afraid the answer is NO :-)

#3 2004-05-17 13:57:04

wdemoss

I have come across several discussions on this. The answer almost always comes to: the user can check the cvs logs and the user can check the release notes on the projects site.

However, for arch, this is a good answer because arch generally does not do anything to the packages supplied by the projects. There are no distribution specific patches or back patches or anything of the kind generally. So you can actually read what the dist said it released and be very confident that is what you got. This is certanitly not the case with redhat, suse, xandros, etc... where distribution specific change logs are important.

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#4 2004-05-26 17:14:37

standsolid
Website

wdemoss wrote:

I have come across several discussions on this. The answer almost always comes to: the user can check the cvs logs and the user can check the release notes on the projects site.

However, for arch, this is a good answer because arch generally does not do anything to the packages supplied by the projects. There are no distribution specific patches or back patches or anything of the kind generally. So you can actually read what the dist said it released and be very confident that is what you got. This is certanitly not the case with redhat, suse, xandros, etc... where distribution specific change logs are important.

-wd

how hard would it be to integrate the changelog posted to CVS into each package? I searched for previous discussions but came up empty.

Also -- It's not neccesarily true  that arch doesn't touch packages... my last update mostly had release revisions

# pacman -Syu
Targets: kdemultimedia-3.2.2-2 libtiff-3.6.1-3 man-pages-1.67-1 mplayer-1.0pre4-2

So what is the reason the changelog can't be included?  Is it too much of a change to the pacman DB -- or is it because it's not desired by the devs because then they would have to write changelogs, or something else?

I, perosnally, would like to know why a package is being upgraded without looking in CVS (which seems to be a gripe not only I have) -- I would also like the option to just install packages with security fixes.

/me shrugs

//standsolid//

ewwwwww Arch is all gooey

Board footer