You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-26 04:03:45

chris_ak

Gtk-WARNING. Unable to locate theme engine. [Solved]

Hi there.  I'm running openbox and I'm getting an error when i run gtk apps.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  Thanks in advance.

[neutron@darkstar ~]$ gedit

(gedit:4816): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "mist",

Last edited by chris_ak (2008-03-26 07:18:22)

#2 2008-03-26 05:54:18

jbromley

Re: Gtk-WARNING. Unable to locate theme engine. [Solved]

Are you sure you've installed the mist theme engine? It sounds like maybe you downloaded the mist theme and are trying to use it without having the corresponding drawing engine installed. To be sure you have the basic GTK engines installed you need the package gtk-engines. If you only need the smooth engine, you can directly install gtk-smooth-engine. If you do

pacman -Q gtk-engines

and pacman reports that the package is not found, you will have to install it. If it is installed and it still doesn't work then I am not sure what the problem might be.

Regards,
j

#3 2008-03-26 05:55:39

chris_ak

That was exactly the problem.  Thanks man smile

#4 2008-05-14 22:46:29

sm4tik
Website

jbromley wrote:

To be sure you have the basic GTK engines installed you need the package gtk-engines. If you only need the smooth engine, you can directly install gtk-smooth-engine.

Rather than posting a new one I'll just ask this quickly here.. When installing gtk-smooth-engine only, you get the gtk-engines installed as a dependency. And if you look at the gtk-engines file list here you'll find

usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libsmooth.so
usr/share/gtk-engines/smooth.xml

in the package. So umm.. what's the trick here? To me it seems the smooth engine is included in the gtk-engines package already and so the gtk-smooth-engine installs itself (in the gtk-engines package) as a dependency. I hope I made my point clear enough. But if I have misunderstood, please let me know so it won't bother me longer than this. I just started to learn gtk-themeing  and happened to begin with the smooth engine, so it's all new to me.

#5 2008-05-15 07:25:33

jbromley

sm4tik wrote:
jbromley wrote:

To be sure you have the basic GTK engines installed you need the package gtk-engines. If you only need the smooth engine, you can directly install gtk-smooth-engine.

Rather than posting a new one I'll just ask this quickly here.. When installing gtk-smooth-engine only, you get the gtk-engines installed as a dependency. And if you look at the gtk-engines file list here you'll find

usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libsmooth.so
usr/share/gtk-engines/smooth.xml

in the package. So umm.. what's the trick here? To me it seems the smooth engine is included in the gtk-engines package already and so the gtk-smooth-engine installs itself (in the gtk-engines package) as a dependency. I hope I made my point clear enough. But if I have misunderstood, please let me know so it won't bother me longer than this. I just started to learn gtk-themeing  and happened to begin with the smooth engine, so it's all new to me.

Hmm, I don't know what the trick is. Apparently, I have made a mistake. I use gtk-aurora-engine and it has no gtk-engines dependency: it is the only engine I have installed. I assumed gtk-smooth-engine would be the same. I also thought that gtk-engines was a meta-package that contained the basic GTK engines like I've seen in other distros, hence my comment. However, as you have mentioned, it seems you cannot install gtk-smooth-engine alone. It installs all of the engines for you. Sorry about any confusion that may have caused.

Regards,
j

#6 2008-05-15 12:14:51

sm4tik
Website

jbromley wrote:

Sorry about any confusion that may have caused.

Regards,
j

No confusion caused by you, I just happened to read this thread while looking for my answer and thought asking it here. After a bit more investigation, I found the gtk-smooth-engine to be configured with gtk1 enabled and gtk2 disabled. However, without the gtk-smooth-engine installed, I haven't really found any abnormalities in using the smooth engine provided by gtk-engines.
Oh well.. nothing "wrong" here, just made me wonder smile

#7 2009-04-20 01:19:15

msdark
Website

i have the same problem, but i have gtk-engines packages installed....

But the problem still there:
Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "engine X" (engine X can be aurora, mist, etc)

initialization check failed: Gtk+ version too old (micro mismatch) (with de murrine-engine)

Thanks a lot

www.msdarkici.wordpress.com (Spanish) All what i Do in the linux world!!!
Arch User... Feel Free... Feel Speed....

#8 2009-12-14 21:35:04

itburnz

Thanks for the post! Had GTK warning messages and installing the right engines helped.

#9 2010-04-17 02:16:37

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Sorry to resurect a dead thread but I finally bothered to fix this with the smooth engine. As far as I know no arch package with it built for gtk2 existed and trying to do it myself required a lot of patching. Try gtk2-smooth-engine in the AUR... it actually makes a big difference!

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

Board footer