You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-26 18:45:20

FrozenFox
Website

(File) Pidgin xfire - updated gfire_games.xml

Update April 12, 08: The new gfire devs have a new version in (unreleased at the time of this post) beta testing. Please see their new site for the most up to date gfire_games.xml and gfire version. http://edhewitt.co.uk/gfire/  as such, this post (and the section on my site) will no longer be updated.

[*Old - See above* Update: April 7, 08]

Hey guys,

For those of you who use the xfire plugin for gaim/pidgin, and noticed the database out of date (people are playing a number instead of a game name), here you go. It's updated up to today, April 7, 2008.

Below is a tar file containing an updated gfire_games.xml so that pidgin will correctly display such stuff.

To install:

1) Untar the file. Right click and untar it or put it on your desktop and in the terminal/console/konsole run: tar -xvf ~/Desktop/April-7-08-gfire_games.xml.tar.gz

2) Put it yourself via your favorite file manager/browser in /home/YOURNAME/.purple/ (notice the dot) to replace your current one. Alternatively, after the command in step 1, the command will be one of these two: cp ~/Desktop/gfire_games.xml ~/.purple or cp ~/gfire_games.xml ~/.purple

3) In pidgin, go to account-->xfire-->reload game id list.

Edit: Apparently I can't hotlink from my web host. Since it doesn't appear that you can attach files to posts here, it is up for download from my site: http://frozenfox.freehostia.com/gfiregames.html . If this bothers someone with a decent alternative means of sending the file (megaupload/rapidshare/etc timers and ads and problems ftl), tell me, and I suppose I'll do so.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2008-04-12 20:43:19)

#2 2008-04-08 01:10:13

FrozenFox
Website

Re: (File) Pidgin xfire - updated gfire_games.xml

Update: Xfire released an update a few hours ago (April 7 2008). I've updated the games list accordingly. See the first post for the new file. Due to how often this file is updated, after this post, I will not bump this thread anymore, I will only update it (and it will probably move to the thread graveyard ;D). So please refer back to this post yourself whenever you think your xfire list is out of date, and I may have it updated. If it is not up to date, go ahead and tell me (preferably on aim), and I may work on it.

PKGBUILD: I'm considering making a pkgbuild to make this process easier and more streamlined until the new devs for gfire perhaps add the file into their updates. I've edited one pkgbuild to work with wine 0.9.59 and such, and I seem to have a so-so grasp of the concept. I'm not sure if such a trivial file update would be worth submitting to aur or whatnot. Would anyone be interested in me doing this? Yay/nay? Good idea / dumb idea? I'd need a direct host of sorts to transfer this to as well, as mine doesn't seem to allow direct links. Unless there's a way to do this on aur I don't seem to understand, of course. smile

Edit: Of course, now that the new gfire is to be out sometime soon with updated stuff, making one for this file would be pointless. smile

Last edited by FrozenFox (2008-04-12 20:44:17)

Board footer