You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-19 00:41:19

lanrat

skippy

It's a clone (more or less :-)) of Apple's Expose http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

It works only witn NetWM compliant window managers - you have to check yourself if your wm works with this application (xfce4 does!) - feel free to post this information here.

pkgname=skippy
pkgver=0.4.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Full screen task switcher for X11 and NetWM compliant window managers"
url="http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php"
depends=('imlib2')
install=skippy.install
source=(http://thegraveyard.org/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('057323a11d08814f365b79237ec00856')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  make || return 1
  install -D -m755 $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/skippy 
        $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/skippy
  install -D -m644 $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/skippyrc-default 
        $startdir/pkg/etc/skippy/skippyrc-default
}

And another stupid install file :-) but skippy will not work if you don't follow the instructions.

skippy.install

post_install() {
  echo "------------------------------------"
  echo "Copy /etc/skippy/skippyrc-default to .skippyrc"
  echo "in your home directory and modify it to your"
  echo "liking. Remember that skippy can be used only"
  echo "with NetWM compliant window managers. For more"
  echo "information read skippy hompage:"
  echo "http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php"
}

post_upgrade() {
  /bin/true
}

pre_remove() {
  /bin/true
}

post_remove() {
  /bin/true
}

op=$1
shift
$op $*

#2 2004-05-19 11:34:04

Egil.B

Re: skippy

Quite sexy app big_smile

#3 2004-05-22 11:23:24

zeppelin
Website

excellent.. it works with GNOME [you should add netWM, GNOMEWM specs]

thanks

#4 2004-05-22 12:09:52

KalephOne

ps. does anybody know what to assign the WIN key to do what F11 does by default.

I just had to make a little change in the .skippyrc file:
keysym = Super_L

This change the bind to the left WIN key, enjoy smile

Kaleph
jabber: kaleph@jabber.org

#5 2004-05-22 15:45:07

dp
Website

hey, very cool app!!

any idea how to daemon'ize it? (is it possible to run it without running x? so that if then x is started, it works and if you quit x it stays waiting for next xserver to start)

if we could write a /etc/rc.d/skippy , then i would also think of including it to extra, but then the config should be also centralized for the daemon (not in ~/ but in /etc/ )

kde-users: Scroll_Lock works great

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#6 2004-05-23 22:15:57

lanrat

I'm glad you like it :-)
I never thought of doing a daemon from it but why not? If it runs without X (I haven't tried it yet because I have something like zillions opera and xterm windows opened right now :-) so it must wait until I'll finish other things) it should be easy to write a kind of daemon script. If it can't run without X then the starting point depends on X and/or wm configuration.
The only problem here is that .skippyrc must be in user's home directory or skippy will segfault when started. But this could probably be improved by changing a few lines in skippy.c (line 230 - homedir = getenv("HOME"); we could just for example change it to some hardcoded dir like /etc/skippy and at the same time change .skippyrc to .skippyrc-default). Easier solution is to request this feature from skippy's author :-) (so user could choose how and when he wants to run skippy).

Ok. Now, I've just noticed (thanks to above comments) that there is a new version of skippy (I have to stop reading arch forums before going to sleep :-)) and it supports more features and wms http://thegraveyard.org/files/skippy-CHANGELOG Also lots of new comments and other things are on skippy's hompage http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php (check it out!). And finally here it is! New PKGBUILD and install file for "standard" skippy version 0.5:

pkgname=skippy
pkgver=0.5.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Full screen task switcher for NetWM or Gnome WM compliant window managers"
url="http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php"
depends=('imlib2')
install=skippy.install
source=(http://thegraveyard.org/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('c7b5c7f0dd870513494916afd8581323')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  make || return 1
  install -D -m755 $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/skippy 
        $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/skippy
  install -D -m644 $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/skippyrc-default 
        $startdir/pkg/etc/skippy/skippyrc-default
}
post_install() {
  echo "Copy /etc/skippy/skippyrc-default to .skippyrc"
  echo "in your home directory and modify it to your"
  echo "liking. Remember that skippy can be used only"
  echo "with NetWM or Gnome WM compliant window managers."
  echo "For more information read skippy hompage:"
  echo "http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php"
}

post_upgrade() {
  /bin/true
}

pre_remove() {
  /bin/true
}

post_remove() {
  /bin/true
}

op=$1
shift
$op $*

There is also a second version of skippy named skippy-xd which does not require imlib2 but instead works with freedesktop.org X server and it's XRender, XComposite, XDamage and XFixes extensions. I'm running stardard xfree and I can't check or make PKGBUILD for this version of skippy - building freedesktop.org's X from cvs would be too much for me to just check new skippy-xd but maybe someone else could do this and post PKGBUILDs?

PS. This post must wait a while because arch www pages are offline now for some reason :-(
...and back in action :-)

#7 2004-05-23 22:55:17

zeppelin
Website

it can't run without X started sad
well if you find a way to daemonize this it would be really fun..

I putted in .xinitrc nothing. should I put it somewhere in the end of startx script?

#8 2004-05-26 06:13:28

-Anders

I wouldnt put it in the end, but just stuff it in your .xinitrc somewhere.

#9 2004-05-26 09:18:32

zeppelin
Website

well didn't work either. well skippy should be run when X starts and shut down when X shuts down.
we can of course wait for that kind of implementation from the dev, or bug him to to do it because I don't see anypoint in executing this by hand every time.. {ok except ADSL always on computers}

#10 2004-05-26 13:32:58

lanrat

What do you mean that it din't work (error or nothing happens?) I'll try to check it when I get back home. I think it should run - it's only simple X app. What wm/de are you using? And how about putting it in .xsession? Also do not hesitate to ask skippy's dev for new features - its only 0.5 now so it's good time for new things :-)

#11 2004-05-27 00:47:42

lanrat

I know now why you can't run skippy form .xinitrc or console.

The problem with skippy is that it needs some display to run so I don't think there is currently any way to daemonize it (sorry dp).

Also you can't run skippy normally in .xinit or .xsession because it needs net wm or gnome wm compliant window manager already present in the memory (you can see this error in the console). Usually wm is also the last command in xinitrc or xsession (then exiting wm exits X) so you can't put it after. More details and explanation are available here:
http://www.xfree.org/4.4.0/startx.1.html
http://www.xfree.org/4.4.0/xinit.1.html
http://www.xfree.org/4.4.0/xsm.1.html

How to automatically run skippy when X and or wm starts?
That depends on your de/wm and how you run X. For de like kde, gnome or xfce4 there are special options available (something like autostart) and you can load skippy from de itself:
http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/startup.php
http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/ … ion-2.html
http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/documentatio … utils.html
(there are probably more options to do that - feel free to post them here)

You can also load skippy from .xinitrc or .xsession if you do some simple trick. Detailed explanation is here (and it's one of the best I found on the net about running programs from xinitrc):
http://fluxbox.org/docbook/en/html/app-setup.html

In this case If you want to run skippy from .xinitrc put there something like this:

your_favourite_wm_start_command_here & wmpid=$!
skippy &
wait $wmpid

This way it should work. Since I use xfce4 now I cant check it out immidiatelly I'll probably do it tommorow (have to set up some other wm). But please post if these settings work for you. You can think of other combinations of startup scripts but I think you get the idea now.

#12 2004-06-11 13:02:17

sweiss

Wow, thanks. Gonna check it out.

#13 2004-06-11 13:07:18

zeppelin
Website

lanrat wrote:
your_favourite_wm_start_command_here & wmpid=$!
skippy &
wait $wmpid

it doesn't work for me (under GNOME)
did it work for someone else?

#14 2004-06-12 00:22:40

lanrat

I think this depends on how do you start gnome (are you using gdm?) and where did you put those commands ? BTW for gnome you don't really need this - you should be able to use gnome-session to start skippy (there is a separate link above talking about this). I'm not using gnome and I can't check every wm/de so if you will be able to run skippy with gnome please post a detailed info.

#15 2004-06-18 16:33:15

nhojohn

startxfce4 & wmpid=$!
skippy &
wait $wmpid

that code doesn't start skippy for me. i use startx.  but if for example i put gkrellm &  instead of skippy & , gkrellm starts fine for me.

when im logged in and typed skippy & in my terminal, works ok. dont know what else i could be missing

#16 2004-06-18 21:05:47

lanrat

Yes, you are missing the analysis of the startxfce4 script :-)

cat `which startxfce4`
#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -d $HOME/.xfce4/ ]; then
        mkdir $HOME/.xfce4/
        mkdir $HOME/.xfce4/settings/
        mkdir $HOME/.xfce4/xffm/
fi

if test x"$DISPLAY" = x""
then
  echo "$0: Starting X server"
  if [ -x $HOME/.xfce4/xinitrc ]; then
        exec xinit $HOME/.xfce4/xinitrc $*
  else
        exec xinit /opt/xfce4/etc/xfce4/xinitrc $*
  fi  
else
  echo "$0: X server already running on display $DISPLAY"
  if [ -x $HOME/.xfce4/xinitrc ]; then
        exec /bin/sh $HOME/.xfce4/xinitrc $*
  else
        exec /bin/sh /opt/xfce4/etc/xfce4/xinitrc $*
  fi
fi

As you can see startxfce4 is just a shell script which already starts xfce with the exec command. And as I already mentioned nothing else is started when you use the exec command. You have to modify startxfce4 script or start xfce more "manually" in your script. The second approach is much more simple because startxfce4 and xfce xinitrc are quite complicated and you would have to change many things. Here is an example of ~/.xinitrc file which you can use to start xfce4 and skippy with startx command:

xfce-mcs-manager 
xfwm4 --daemon
xftaskbar4 &
xfdesktop &
xfce4-panel & wmpid=$! 
skippy & 
wait $wmpid

You can also read more about starting xfce4 on this page http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation〈=en (I just copied the example from there and modified it to run skippy). The same page also says that

All programs, or symbolic links to programs, in ~/Desktop/Autostart/ will be run by startxfce4 on startup.

So alternatively you just add a symbolic link to skippy like this (create the dirs first if yo don't have them already)

cd ~/Desktop/Autostart/
ln -s /usr/bin/skippy skippy

Then you should be able to run xfce with usual startxfce4. Does any of the above ways work for you ?

EDIT: The strangest thing is that grellm also shouldn't start the way you say :shock:  Are you sure that grellm starts fine? Maybe it starts but it's a different gkrellm somewhere in .xsession or something like that? You could put some program that you never started with anything on wm startup to check this. Strange or not try the suggested ways first :-) The problem with skippy is that it needs the netwm or gnomewm compliant wm started first and xfce is not just a single wm file but a set of programs and I don't really know which of them is treated by skippy as the compatibile wm - this sentence is already complicated enough :-) so I finish for now...

#17 2004-06-18 21:42:38

Namlook

hey !

other things you can do (maybe) it to create your .xinitrc like this :

wait 10 && skippy &
exec your_WM

it may works because it will wait that your_WM start and then, start skippy. I'll try it on my computer later (I'm not at home).

Namlook

PS: if 10s is not suffisant to start your WM, try 20 or 30 ;-)

#18 2004-06-19 14:40:49

lanrat

Ok. I finally had some time to test 2 solutions. Starting xfce and skippy manually (without using or modifing startxfce4 at all) from .xinitrc (an example in my previous post) worked :-) Starting skippy by putting a symbolic link in ~/Desktop/Autostart (I had to create Autostart subdirectory first) and then starting xfce with standard startxfce4 script worked too.

#19 2004-06-19 22:16:39

zeppelin
Website

none of the two works for me for ion [ion is compat with skippy]
i guess only XFCE4 scripts make it possible. how wrong am I? thx

#20 2004-06-20 14:45:13

lanrat

Are you sure that ion is supported ? From http://www.thegraveyard.org/skippy.php

So far, it's been sucessfully tested using OpenBox-3.2, Fluxbox-0.9.9 (thanks daelstorm!), XFWM4 (thanks SeeSchloss!), Metacity (thanks SmackleFunky!), WindowMaker (thanks SuperBFG7), IceWM (thanks Tomasz Torcz), PekWM (thanks Josh Chaney), Waimea (thanks Gad 'make-up-your-mind' Kadosh) and KWin (no, BlackBox and ion aren't supported).

#21 2004-10-14 17:12:07

dlanor78

Okay, I get how to use the firt bit of code that installs thinks (make PKGBUILD file and run makepkg), but how does one use the second bit of code (the post install)?

#22 2004-10-14 17:35:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

lanrat, this is badass
I'm going to throw this into my repo below, using your PKGBUILD...
Also, I'm going to attempt a skippy-xd build....

BTW, as far as the rc samples go, is this the standard way to place them?  I currently have a torsmorc sample going to /etc/skel...

let me know your opinion on that

#23 2004-10-15 00:26:17

lanrat

phrakture wrote:

lanrat, this is badass
I'm going to throw this into my repo below, using your PKGBUILD...
Also, I'm going to attempt a skippy-xd build....

BTW, as far as the rc samples go, is this the standard way to place them?  I currently have a torsmorc sample going to /etc/skel...

let me know your opinion on that

Tnx for the effort.
Now xd version should work with xorg quite well.

And about the rc file: I think that depends on how the program is going to use it.

Normally all config files should go to /etc/skippy (or just /etc if it's only one file - there is still discussion about that on the forums and mailing list from time to time but AFAIK there is no "very official standard" :-)).

But skippyrc is not a global config. It's only a sample. Current version of skippy can only use .skippyrc file in the user home dir.

So maybe it would be better to place this sample file in /usr/share/skippy (with the postinstall info of course - user still has to copy and edit it).

If you think that /etc/skel is really better then also the name has to be changed to .skippyrc during installation.
But I'm not sure if this is a good solution for everybody. These files will be (or should be) copied to any new user homedir. And we shouldn't assume that every user wants to use skippy. This not really important if you have only a small desktop system but packages IMO should be as universal as possible.

Don't consider my opinion as a standard though :-)

@dlanor78: just wait for the package in phrakture repo...

#24 2004-10-15 15:19:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

both skippy and skippy-xd are in my repo and should be working

WARNING: there is no way to check dependancies for the newest X extensions, but they must be enabled... there are multiple docs all over the place.  Please do not use skippy-xd unless you know what you're doing with the new X extensions (it works for me, however composite still gives me slight problems... unrelated to skippy).

Forward all problems with the packages to me...

#25 2004-10-15 19:58:30

mdirolf

skippy is so cool, thanks.  But is there anybody who has found a way to make it start when X starts in fluxbox-devel?  It seems like the solutions posted are only for XFCE 4.  Any help would be appreciated, as starting it in the terminal every login is getting annoying.
Thanks,
Mike

Board footer