You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-02 01:42:53

sajro

Selectively install OOo components + run w/o launch center?

I was trying to free up some space on my computer. I got to OpenOffice, which I need but use rarely. There are several components I never use: Base and Draw. I rarely use Math, but need it occasionally and like the integration. How can I install just Writer, Calc, Math, and Impress by themselves? The openoffice-base package installs all of them, but I don't want Draw and Base.

Also, how do I launch the applications individually? Instead of clicking the shortcut pointing to /usr/bin/soffice (which means I need an extra step to start a document), I'd like to be able to click one that takes me to Writer, one to Calc, etc.

Also, noob question, but not on my Arch system right now to test, but if you setup a file association in ROX-Filer with .doc, .odt, etc. with /usr/bin/soffice, does it automatically use Writer if it's text, Calc if it's a spreadsheet, etc? Jsut wondering.

#2 2008-04-02 12:25:33

Jack B
Website

Re: Selectively install OOo components + run w/o launch center?

Individual components of OOo can be started with

soffice -name

where -name is -calc, -writer etc.

If you tell ROX or similar to open a document it calls "soffice document", soffice then starts, realizes it is being given a word document for example and opens the writer interface.

As for installing only part of OOo, it's not really possible, due to the way OOo is built.  All features are available in all documents, it just uses a different interface with different menus depending on which features you are likely to use.  It is possible to cut out the interfaces you don't want, but it won't save much.

Jack

Board footer