You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-02 17:04:29

perost

Empty applications list in Firefox 3b4

I just tried to get a torrent to open with Azureus in FF 3b4, but realized that the Edit->Preferences->Applications list i completely empty. When I try to open a file with Firefox I only get the usual Open With/Save dialog, but if I choose open with I have to manually find the application to open the file with. Shouldn't Firefox use Gnomes mime types? I tried removing the mimeTypes.rdf file, and even tried with a new profile. But whatever I do the applications list remains empty. I read about someone having the same problem and fixing it with the official build, but since I'm using x86_64 that's not an option. I could try building the new 3b5 to see if it fixes the problem, but I suspect that it's something else that's broken. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

#2 2008-04-03 18:03:38

perost

Re: Empty applications list in Firefox 3b4

Well, I built my own Firefox 3b5 by modifying the PKGBUILD for Firefox 3 in abs, but the same problem there. But then I found an x86_64 nightly build here, and if I use that one instead the applications list works! So something is fishy with ArchLinux's build, but I don't know what. I think I'm going to try building Firefox from source and see if it works then.

#3 2008-04-03 19:48:50

SpookyET

There is no need to do that. I have already done the work: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15184
i686 package is also available. You don't even have to compile it.

The reason why no applications are listed is because the arch build has gnome-vfs disabled. Some arch packages have a lot of things disabled, which  pisses me off.

#4 2008-04-03 21:51:30

perost

SpookyET wrote:

There is no need to do that. I have already done the work: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15184
i686 package is also available. You don't even have to compile it.

The reason why no applications are listed is because the arch build has gnome-vfs disabled. Some arch packages have a lot of things disabled, which  pisses me off.

Thanks, I'll try you're package. There's too many different Firefox packages in AUR right now, so I missed your package when I looked earlier tongue And thanks for the explanation. I didn't know that the Arch Firefox had been crippled. Guess I'll have to build it from source from now on then.

#5 2008-09-26 21:51:14

profylno

I don't know if there's any sense in it, but I like to not have any gnome anything installed on my system. Just the thought of that .gconf business sitting in my home directory gives me the willies. So, since I can't install gnome-vfs anyways, I decided to just write a script to handle the file:// URLs that firefox passes, and have it pass them all to the script. It's something like this:

#!/bin/sh

#handlefilelinks.sh

#Firefox renames %20 to %2520 for some reason
filepath=`echo ${1#file://} | sed 's/%2520/%20/g'`
extension=${filepath##*.}

shopt -s nocasematch
case "$extension" in
    wmv | mpg | avi | mov ) exec gmplayer "$filepath";;
    mp3 | wav | ogg ) exec beep-media-player "$filepath";;
    jpg | bmp | png | gif) exec xv "$filepath";;
    doc | odt | ppt ) exec soffice "$filepath";;
    pdf ) exec epdfview "$filepath";;
    html ) exec firefox "$filepath";;
    "$filepath" ) cd "$filepath"; exec xterm;;
    * ) xmessage -center -buttons okay:1,edit:0 "Sorry. Unrecognized extension \"$extension\"" && exec emacs /usr/local/bin/handlefilelinks.sh;;
esac

I'm sorry if the code isn't very nice, and I encourage anyone to improve it.

Last edited by profylno (2008-10-27 05:02:12)

Board footer