You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-20 00:27:08

yowwww

pnm2ppa

I needed to install this to get my hp 720c to work, it was driving me nuts for a while but now it works. What baffles me is arch does not have a package for this?
I will try to make one, but I am relatively new at building, so if someone who is more experienced can help out and do one, it would be appreciated.

#2 2004-05-20 01:20:46

dp
Website

Re: pnm2ppa

yowwww wrote:

I needed to install this to get my hp 720c to work, it was driving me nuts for a while but now it works. What baffles me is arch does not have a package for this?
I will try to make one, but I am relatively new at building, so if someone who is more experienced can help out and do one, it would be appreciated.

try and post what you did and where the trouble came :-) there is for sure people around that can help

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-05-20 12:20:54

kpiche
Forum Fellow
Website

Here's what I came up with.  I don't have an HP so who knows if it works...

# Contributor: K. Piche <kpiche@rogers.com>
pkgname=pnm2ppa
pkgver=1.12
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A Ghostscript filter for legacy HP Deskjet printers."
url="http://pnm2ppa.sourceforge.net/"
source=(http://dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/$pkgname/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('effd8c42bbe7c970e70fa7d9d991275b')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  make || return 1
  make BINDIR=$startdir/pkg/usr/bin CONFDIR=$startdir/pkg/etc 
       MANDIR=$startdir/pkg/usr/man/man1 install
}

#4 2004-05-20 23:22:23

yowwww

that seems to work fine, thanks a lot kpiche smile

btw, is there any documentation on how to get better at making packages for arch? Ive read the generic stuff and can make most packages, but there are a lot that require patching and adjusting  of the PKGBUILD file but I haven't seen anything on how to do things.

also, this might be a good one to put on the current or extra repos as there are some people out there other than me that have likely given up on getting their printer to work in arch. It would be easy to add it and would make getting printing to work with certain printer very easy.

#5 2004-05-21 13:09:11

kpiche
Forum Fellow
Website

I don't think there's any docs for that.  Usually software that uses the standard autoconf/make ./configure scripts are the easiest to create packages for.  It's the other "creative" setups that cause more headaches.  IE you need to pick the right Makefile or figure out how to make it install in $startdir/pkg.

It wouldn't hurt to be in the repo however only a small number of PPA printers were made by HP and they don't make them anymore so I could see why the maintainers wouldn't have bothered.

#6 2004-05-21 20:02:42

yowwww

true enough and point taken, but it is a small pkg to make and it obviously wasn't all that difficult and a lot of people still use older printers of this style. it would be just as easy to build it and it put it in. I had to actually view a cups error log and go to a fair bit of trouble to get it to work. it would have saved me a lot of hassle. it was very irritating that i could use it with a live cd and but not arch, and i had virtually every single printer related pkg installed from the repos. ack, nonetheless, it works now, and maybe if someone else has the same trouble they will find this thread.

Board footer