You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-04 00:36:36

saciel

fluxbox commands from shell

I wondered if there is anyway to run fluxbox commands from a shell. There is a couple of neat little things that can be asigned to the keys via keybindings in .fluxbox/keys. Nice examples are ResizeTo or ToggleDecoder and the likes.

I think it would come in pretty handy if they could be used from shell or if it was possible to pass them as commandline arguments when opening a new window. For example I would like to be able to start mplayer in fullscreen mode while being put to the 'Desktop' layer... like a moving wallpaper when watching baseball while working. However, I don't want this to always happen, so I cannot put it in .fluxbox/apps. Sure, I could write a script that makes some changes to the apps-file, invokes the application and then undos the changes but well... this is obviously not the way you want things to work, is it?

For example xpdf has this nice remote feature where you can for example turn pages using the command line. I believe kde - which I used quite a while ago - included command line options for changing the window title and things like that when calling an application from shell.

So any ideas on that. Is it possible, or can anyone suggest a nice work-around (a better one than editing the apps file using an awk-script each time)?

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#2 2008-04-04 10:46:31

hokasch

Re: fluxbox commands from shell

fluxbox-remote <fluxbox-command>

support must be activated by setting session.screen<N>.allowRemoteActions to true in your fluxbox init file.
sadly documenatation for fluxbox-remote seems to be non-existent.

#3 2008-04-04 11:40:58

saciel

Re: fluxbox commands from shell

hokasch wrote:

sadly documenatation for fluxbox-remote seems to be non-existent.

That's probably the reason why I didn't find it. But I'll give it a try now and see if I can find out how it's working. If I understand it, I guess I should make an entry in fluxbox wiki.

There is a work around by the way which I found out yesterday, which has some advantages and disadvantags over fluxbox-remote. I'm using wmctrl (can be found in the AUR) which can set some properties of a given window. The big plus is, that my scripts would be far more portable, as wmctrl supports a wide range of window mangers, however, some fluxbox-specific maneuvers like tab grouping and so on are missing of course.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

Board footer