You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-04 11:47:22

WernerL

C# prorgamming in KDE3.5

Hello,

At school we have to use C# for the programming lessons and I wan't to use linux. smile
Mono works great, monodevelop too but at home I use KDE as desktop environment and I don't wan't to install al those gnome dependencies.

Does anybody know what the best solution is to program in C# when using de Kdesktop Environment?

Thanks in advance.

ps. Yes I found eclipse plugins but I didn't got those plugins working perfect so I hope there are some people here who have some experience with this. I wan't something that has codehighlighting and code completion. smile

#2 2008-04-04 12:17:54

chicha

Re: C# prorgamming in KDE3.5

Here we go with those Integrated Development Environment (kdevelop, monodevelop, Visual c++, Eclipse, Anjuta, ...) : when you change from one environment to another you are lost !

Using the command line and a basic editor such vim, emacs, nedit, gedit (gnome), kate (kde), notepad++ (windows), etc ... is the best way to have a total control and understanding on what you do and how things work. It is also the best (and only ?) way to be independant from any environment (windows/linux/mac ..., kde/gnome ...).

Also if you are learning C# at your university I would recommand to try to use a C# compiler and the .NET virtual machine interpreter directly by hand : it will help you a lot to "see" what is going on and how things work ! IDE always hide you the basic layers of the system.

This is really not complicated at all. In fact I found it a lot easier to work with vim + make + gmcs/mono than using monodevelop directly.

If you like Archlinux KISS philosophy you probably understand my point.

Finally to answer your question I do not know if Kdevelop or KDE in general provide tools and IDE to develop with .NET.
Mono/.NET technology is being worked on at KDE but it is a quiet recent work : see http://dot.kde.org/1183467123/.

However I can help you using gmcs (the C# compiler), make and mono to start programming C# with your favorite KDE text editor if you need so smile

Those tutorials at mono do not require anything more than a terminal and a text editor :
http://www.mono-project.com/Start
http://www.mono-project.com/Mono_Basics

I am not sure I helped you a lot, but at least I said what I had to say tongue
Cheers,

Chicha

#3 2008-04-04 12:39:08

WernerL

yes that IS an option what you're saying. I can program in html/css/javascript and php without a whole IDE. And I don't think it is a big problem to program in kate (my favorite for PHP) because we are just programming console applications. But in a few weeks we start programming GUI applications and I really don't know were to start without an IDE lol. tongue
It's just very easy to drag a button to a form and let the IDE generate the eventHandler stuff. big_smile
But the most important reason for me is, because i'm new to C# I don't know wich classes are available and I don't know wich methodes all those classes have. So it prevents me from getting headache when I get a nice list when typing Console. for example. That's why I wan't to start with an IDE. if I get the hang in it I don't need the IDE anymore. Just something that helps me with the big list of classes and methods.

Last edited by WernerL (2008-04-04 12:39:54)

#4 2008-04-04 12:59:58

chicha

http://www.go-mono.com/docs/ is a solution to browse the API.
I usually do not use a class and or method without knowing more about how it works, from which it inherits, etc. Thus I use a lot the online documentation or the devhelp one (on gnome) when I am offline.

Then when I have used it once I need automatic completion, this is where vim/emacs are very good at :-)

About building a GUI I totally understand your needs and I think that this is where an IDE has all its place. But I prefer a dedicated IDE for that, than a one who will generate C# (or other) code for you.
In this way Glade is really good at building GTK applications. I have tried monodevelop integrated interface builder and it is not as good as glade in my opinion for the moment ...

As a conclusion :

- if you want to build QT applications with .NET/mono : you have to use Qyoto C#/QT bindings and there are no IDE for easy building at the moment, as far as I know.

- if you want to build GTK applications with .NET/mono : Glade or Monodevelop is what you are looking for.

- if you want to build Windows applications with .NET/mono : Use Visual .NET as an application designer and mono for the rest, but you may encounter some problems. I do not know if mono fully manages Windows .NET GUI layer ... Also I would recommand to use Visual .NET.

#5 2008-04-04 13:12:26

WernerL

Thanks for the advice. Let's give glade a try. smile

#6 2008-04-04 13:56:52

chicha

No problem !

Also I was a bit fast when saying that there is no QT designer support for C#/mono :
you might be interested by this post on the kdedevelopers blog : http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2665

I do not know how far they went, if this is really usable or not. If you want to try Qt Designer with mono/C# I would be very happy to have a review from you !

I wish you all the best in your studies smile

Cheers,
Chicha

#7 2008-04-04 14:30:42

WernerL

Just checked the quoto website and it looks like there is a version 1.0. smile Don't know if that says a lot but I will give it a try. smile

They gave the UI components great names ! QpushButton..

using Qyoto;

namespace QyotoTutorial {
        public class HelloWorld {
               public static int Main(string[] args){
                      QApplication app = new QApplication(args);
                      QPushButton button1 = new QPushButton("Hello World!");
                      button1.Resize(100,30);
                      button1.Show();
                      return QApplication.Exec();
               }
        }
}

What's wrong with just Qbutton lol. tongue

And ofcourse when I have tested it enough I will write a small review here somewhere on the arch forums.

Last edited by WernerL (2008-04-04 14:31:53)

#8 2008-04-04 14:42:06

chicha

WernerL wrote:

And ofcourse when I have tested it enough I will write a small review here somewhere on the arch forums.

Also do you know if they have a QT Designer integration ?

#9 2008-04-04 14:48:55

WernerL

chicha wrote:
WernerL wrote:

Also do you know if they have a QT Designer integration ?

I don't know. smile The only thing I got are the libraries to program the GUI yourself with.

Board footer