You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-04 17:08:35

axion419

9600GT / Nvidia Driver - works great - then crashes/artifacts

Hi all, I recently got a new quad core / 9600 gt and was pumped to run it in 64 bit.  Install was fine as normal, pacman -Sy nvidia, sudo nvidia-xconfig, creates the XF86 file and a startx boots me into a wonderful openbox desktop at a great resolution.  I then finish updating, and reload X a couple days later - and when X comes up, I have white artifacts all over the top of my monitor - everything is horrible looking. - tried installing nvidia again - tells me to maually unload drivers - wiped PC - installed i686 version - same things happen, works, then stops - So I wiped it, installed hwd first - then downlaod the nvidia driver and switched vesa to nvidia - same things, works, then stops.  Any ideas?  I even ran hwd - got a xorg, then ran nvidia-xconfig to have nvidia create xorg instead of XF86...any ideas? im at work or I would post terminal output.

can anyone give me any commands to run - I know I am not providing enough info, but Ive never had a problem with arch and nvidia, so Its got to be something I am doing, or something that is diff with the card (prev. was a 6600)  I keep reloading arch, and it keeps happening, So if I reload again, is there any steps to take to set up nvidia, that not in the wiki?  Ive never ever had a problem with arch, and Ive used it for a while now.  So i can post my xorg and etc, but some commands to give you more info would be great.

Last edited by axion419 (2008-04-04 17:37:56)

#2 2008-04-15 01:11:23

dabski
Website

Re: 9600GT / Nvidia Driver - works great - then crashes/artifacts

Check your CPU temperature, it might be a heat related problem. Also if your getting artifacts  it could be a broken video card or it might just not be getting enough juice from you PSU. Could you give us some more information like system specs and log files to help narrow it down.

#3 2008-04-16 00:22:05

axion419

Re: 9600GT / Nvidia Driver - works great - then crashes/artifacts

can a mod merge this with my new thread, I didnt realize i posted about this already and Im deeply sorry.  To answer your question, i posted the xorg in the new thread, and i tried to post the xorg.log0 but it was so large the post wouldnt fit it, is their a relevant portion, also, what are the other logs that would help?  I have 6 fans in the case, its large and spacious, I also run the card in a dual boot with windows and it never crashes or anything, its always after a restard in linux, i can log in and out etc and its fine.

Board footer