You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-04 19:20:26

sofa5000

Shutdown doesn't work sometimes

Hello!

Sometimes when I try to shutdown nothing happens. Gnome stops and the message "System is going down for halt now" appears, but then nothing happens. I can change to every vc I want, log on and also start gnome again and work normal. But the system won't halt, also after waiting a long time (5 hours).
I couldn't find something interesting in the log files, but then I looked at each process which is running. And it seems that "mount.ntfs-3g" could not be exited. Also a "killall -s 9 mount.ntfs-3g" doesn't stop the process. In gnome-system-monitor the status column says "Uninterruptible".
What's wrong? What can I do?

Thanks

#2 2008-04-08 19:27:15

benmorgan

Re: Shutdown doesn't work sometimes

I'm not an expert on this, but since you mentioned ntfs, it looks like you have an XP or Vista partition there.
And I take it you access it. So the problem is somewhere between unmounting and mounting that particular filesystem. If my assumption is right, take note of what you are doing when the problem occurs and doesn't occur.

#3 2008-04-08 19:47:30

xaw

First of all, while your system is running, can you normally unmount that filesystem and unload the fuse kernel module? or does it yield with an error(s)? If it yields with errors, then that would be the first place to start looking at - the fuse or ntfs-3g kernel module somehow preventing the filesystem from syncing at the stage of shutdown that you're mentioning.

Hope that helps a little.

The water never asked for a channel, and the channel never asked for water.

#4 2008-04-09 17:09:25

sofa5000

Windows is not installed. It is an external hard disk (USB) with Virtual Machines on it. I use NTFS because else I can't share it with my Windows Friends (;-)). I have watched the process "mout.ntfs-3g" and when I unmount my disk it normally exits, but sometimes it hangs, as said in the first post.
Next time when it hangs I will try to manually unload the fuse kernel module and watch if there are any errors. Until then thanks for the help.

Last edited by sofa5000 (2008-04-09 17:10:15)

Board footer