You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-06 23:32:31

ub818

new to arch - user permissions - dwm

Hi, I'm a new convert from gentoo.

So far, I love it.  I haven't quite gotten a good understanding about the user permissions yet.  I was capable of installing flash in a 64 bit environment and struggled through those permissions and I was wondering if I was going about it wrong.

I think I know how the AUR stuff works now.  (Which I feel the AUR idea is really neat)  However this is my sole desktop and nobody else uses it, I don't like running things from root, so I'm more apt to run things as a user.  Now, here's my question - what do I need to change?  my user account is in wheel, audio, video, mount - however to compile things and place them /usr/local/bin it still hits me with

cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/dwm': Permission denied

What do I need to set certain folders to? Did I go about adding users wrong?  What group should my 'poweruser'  be?  (see how I didn't use super-user)

I'm pretty green with setting .bash_profiles - mostly I just copy stuff over and never worry about it.   I don't notice a change until I ran across the EVER annoying beep when you hit tab.  What has everyone come up with in a way to display the directory contents when you hit tab at /etc/con<tab>  ?  What am I missing

DWM - I see how to set it up in the wiki, and I see other people recommending to compile it from source.  I care not about source vs. pkg, but what is easier on keeping it up to date, and updating the config.h.   So, first off IF I did

pacman -S dwm

Where does that config.h file drop.  (I told you I was new!)  And my other relates to my question about permissions - if I were to compile it myself - which I'm comfortable with - what are the permissions that I need?   

I've searched around and I haven't found much for the layout or for perms.

Thanks so much..  I really like this version of linux and I hope to contribute more.

#2 2008-04-06 23:46:17

dyscoria

Re: new to arch - user permissions - dwm

I don't think any groups allow normal user to write to /usr/local. If you really want just do "chown -R $username.$username /usr/local/" though i'm pretty sure thats probably a bad idea. Just use sudo to 'make install' things.

Last edited by dyscoria (2008-04-06 23:47:31)

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#3 2008-04-07 00:22:15

ub818

Right - but what I was thinking of was enabling all the users of the group 'wheel' to do this sort of thing.  I haven't gotten it all setup yet, but once I do, I think I'll probably post up what to do about this situation.

#4 2008-04-07 00:26:18

dyscoria

The 'wheel' group simply allows users to use sudo.
This might help: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis … o_password

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#5 2008-04-07 01:02:31

rson451
Website

allowing users write permission to binary folders is really not a good idea, and i very much advise against it.  the best solution here would be sudo, as dyscoria has mentioned.  if you REALLLLY want to do this, i'd say do "chown root:wheel /usr/local/" and "chmod g+w /usr/local" if you must.

about dwm: just build it with the aur.  this will allow you to edit it to your liking, compile it, make a package, and install the package with pacman. it allows you the convenience of a package manager, with the flexibility of editing the source for yourself.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#6 2008-04-07 02:17:09

ub818

Maybe, I'm not asking the right questions... 

What user permissions do I have to set up for AUR packages?

#7 2008-04-07 03:19:52

bender02

ub818 wrote:

Maybe, I'm not asking the right questions... 
What user permissions do I have to set up for AUR packages?

Maybe you should read the wiki about AUR and later wiki about ABS.
In short: from AUR, you download a "recipe", then makepkg creates a package for you out of it (so far everything as a user), and then install the created package with pacman (as root).

Board footer