You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-08 16:53:15

GuyNamedRob

netcfg2 not providing menu during boot

Hi,

I've spent the morning configuring netcfg2 on my system, and it's certainly easier than my last experience with Ubuntu Server.

I have no problems connecting when running the #netcfg2 wireless (where wireless is my configuration).  My issue is that this command needs to be run as root, manually.

The instructions and what I have gleaned off of forum posts indicate I should disable the network daemon in /etc/rc.conf, as it isn't needed anymore.  I also have ensured NETWORKS=(menu) or NETWORKS=(wireless) so that the menu or just the wireless comes up during the boot process.  Except no menu comes up, and neither does the wireless during boot.

Some context:  I'm running this old IBM thinkpad i1500 (celeron 450MHz) without a GUI, to force myself to learn eLinks, Mutt, vim and w3m, so my goal is to have the network connect during boot, so I don't have to use root or su.

I have somehow missed whatever config setting launches the NETWORKS=(menu) as part of the boot process.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rob

#2 2008-04-08 19:52:50

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: netcfg2 not providing menu during boot

Hi.

What about, instead of using NETWORKS=(menu), having one of the startup scripts (rc.local or similar) run /usr/bin/netcfg-menu?  You can also try asking in the netcfg2 thread; I think iphitus is monitoring that thread for questions and problems:  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43863.

#3 2008-04-08 21:46:24

jeebusroxors
Website

Did you add

net-profiles

to rc.conf daemons array?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

#4 2008-04-10 02:36:50

GuyNamedRob

Thanks to you both.  I had missed the net-profiles daemon.  Things work just the way I'd hoped.  And it's respectably speedy even on the ol' clunker.

Thanks again!

Board footer