You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-11 14:13:36

whaler

Best desktop search util for KDE?

Linux offers many ways to search for files and most of them are too involved for my memory-challenged head... (besides, I never seem to sort out the difference(s) between 'locate' and 'slocate', not to mention 'mlocate'(???). F.ex. PCLOS has 'locate', but not 'slocate'. In Bluewhite64, it is the opposite, while Archlinux offers both...). For the CLI pros, I suspect grep is the most powerful.

Anyway, apart from KDE's own search app, what is the best KDE GUI tool if I want to swiftly inspect files *anywhere* on my system?

I have previously tried Beagle (Ubuntu) and it apparently has a KDE cousin named KBeagle. Then there is Strigi, and on Vector Linux I noticed something called GTKFind which I have not seen anywhere else.

What do you all consider the best desktop file search app available for Arch?

#2 2008-04-11 16:19:27

dyscoria

Re: Best desktop search util for KDE?

I don't know about GUI tools or KDE really, but I can recommend rlocate (sorry to confuse you with yet another version big_smile) which is like locate but it always up to date.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rlocate

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#3 2008-04-11 16:52:15

whaler

Thanks, interesting and useful. I'll install it forthwith smile

What I am looking for, ideally, is a desktop app which would present me with a list of documents containing the search word, let me click on the doc reference and have it load in the default (user/system defined) application. I tried a couple such programs under that other OS and they proved to be real timesavers when dealing with a lot of downloaded text documents. They would search html, xml, pdf as well as straight ascii documents. If no such apps exist under Linux, this ought to be a worthwhile project for the competent...!

#4 2008-04-11 17:36:08

DonVla

whaler wrote:

Linux offers many ways to search for files and most of them are too involved for my memory-challenged head... (besides, I never seem to sort out the difference(s) between 'locate' and 'slocate', not to mention 'mlocate'(???). F.ex. PCLOS has 'locate', but not 'slocate'. In Bluewhite64, it is the opposite, while Archlinux offers both...). For the CLI pros, I suspect grep is the most powerful.

Anyway, apart from KDE's own search app, what is the best KDE GUI tool if I want to swiftly inspect files *anywhere* on my system?

I have previously tried Beagle (Ubuntu) and it apparently has a KDE cousin named KBeagle. Then there is Strigi, and on Vector Linux I noticed something called GTKFind which I have not seen anywhere else.

What do you all consider the best desktop file search app available for Arch?

i *highly* recommend recoll (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=8161). it has no direct kde integration, it's a qt app, but very versatile.

vlad

Last edited by DonVla (2008-04-11 17:36:34)

#5 2008-04-12 01:33:14

whaler

DonVla wrote:

i *highly* recommend recoll (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=8161). it has no direct kde integration, it's a qt app, but very versatile.

This is very much what I was looking for!

One thing: when I tried to install "pstotext", I received an error message saying "i686" is not supported. The architecture line is missing in the PKGBUILD. Do you know if it will work if I just add something like "Arch=i686"?

Sonst, grossartig! smile

#6 2008-04-12 11:51:03

Mikko777

Well strigi is integrated in kde4. Needs to be enabled in systemsettings but works great.

#7 2008-04-12 12:10:06

whaler

Mikko777 wrote:

Well strigi is integrated in kde4. Needs to be enabled in systemsettings but works great.

Are you running KDE 4.x? If so, what is your impression?

Perhaps I should install Strigi too. Can't get enough search apps smile

Edit:
Meanwhile I let pacman install Strigi (0.5.7), but no desktop objects were created and no executive was placed in PATH.

bash-3.2# whereis strigi
strigi: /usr/lib/strigi /usr/include/strigi /usr/share/strigi

What is the secret here?

Last edited by whaler (2008-04-12 12:57:23)

#8 2008-04-12 12:27:43

DonVla

whaler wrote:

One thing: when I tried to install "pstotext", I received an error message saying "i686" is not supported. The architecture line is missing in the PKGBUILD. Do you know if it will work if I just add something like "Arch=i686"?

ja,
simply add

arch=(i686)
to the PKGBUILD.

vlad

#9 2008-04-12 15:05:25

whaler

DonVla wrote:

ja,
simply add

arch=(i686)