You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-12 21:41:41

Perre

lircd: command not found after install of lirc

Hi!

I've had some problems with lirc and had to uninstall it from my system. I also deleted
the files named lirc* after I uninstalled. I then cleaned the pacman cache and reinstalled
lirc.

I did this in a hope of getting a complete reinstall of lirc. The installation went fine, but my
system doesn't seem to see that lirc has been reinstalled. When I do #lircd (which used to
start lircd) I get #bash: lircd: command not found

I've tried to reinstall several more times by #pacman -S lirc and it runs through the installation.
I still get #bash: lircd: command not found though.

What am I doing wrong? Why won't lirc go back to working like it should do after reinstallation??

#2 2008-04-12 22:40:27

azleifel

Re: lircd: command not found after install of lirc

You probably need to reinstall lirc-utils:

[david@darkstar ~]$ pacman -Qo `which lircd`
/usr/sbin/lircd is owned by lirc-utils 0.8.2-1
[david@darkstar ~]$ pacman -Qs lirc
local/lirc 0.8.2-11
    Linux Infrared Remote Control kernel modules for stock arch kernel
local/lirc-utils 0.8.2-1
    Linux Infrared Remote Control utils

Last edited by azleifel (2008-04-12 22:43:47)

#3 2008-04-12 23:42:04

Perre

Thanks! smile

That got lircd working again. But I the problem I used to have still exists...

When i do #sudo lircd it works fine, but using only lircd gives me:

lircd: could not delete /dev/lircd
Permission denied

I'm supposed to be able to run lircd without sudo aren't I? *Cause I'd like
to autorun it on startup.

#4 2008-04-13 08:42:25

azleifel

The lircd daemon expects to be run at startup and needs root permissions because it will create device nodes in /dev.  Try "man lircd" for more information.

To run lircd at startup, add it to the DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf.  If needed, add any necessary kernel module to the MODULES line of /etc/rc.conf while you're there.  As an example, I have MODULES=(lirc-mceusb2) for my trusty Microsoft MCE remote control and DAEMONS=(@lircd).

#5 2008-04-13 10:55:17

Perre

azleifel wrote:

The lircd daemon expects to be run at startup and needs root permissions because it will create device nodes in /dev.  Try "man lircd" for more information.

To run lircd at startup, add it to the DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf.  If needed, add any necessary kernel module to the MODULES line of /etc/rc.conf while you're there.  As an example, I have MODULES=(lirc-mceusb2) for my trusty Microsoft MCE remote control and DAEMONS=(@lircd).

That did it!! Thanks. smile

I spent hours and hours yesterday trying to figure out how to autostart lircd. Now everything works.
When I try #irw every button I push is mapped with the right name and function. But in Freevo things are not that smooth. It seems
freevo only understands a few of the buttons.

I've seen that in myth there's a config file (or something) that seems to map out the remote functions in relation to myth itself. Do I
need a similar config file for freevo?

EDIT: nwm... I found out that yes, I do. tongue

Last edited by Perre (2008-04-13 10:59:09)

#6 2008-04-13 12:51:17

Perre

And now I got some problems again... sad

Seems every time I try to enter my music folder freevo crashes and gives me this:

Event 'MENU_SELECT' crashed

Please take a look at the logfile and report the bug to the Freevo mailing list. The state of Freevo may be corrupt now and this error could cause more errors until you restart Freevo.

Logfile : /dev/null

When checking the logfile it's empty.

Last edited by Perre (2008-04-13 12:55:25)

#7 2008-04-13 13:47:44

azleifel

Perre wrote:

And now I got some problems again... sad

Seems every time I try to enter my music folder freevo crashes and gives me this:

Event 'MENU_SELECT' crashed

Please take a look at the logfile and report the bug to the Freevo mailing list. The state of Freevo may be corrupt now and this error could cause more errors until you restart Freevo.

Logfile : /dev/null

When checking the logfile it's empty.

Sorry but I know nothing about freevo and you really need to start another thread because this is a different topic.

#8 2008-04-13 14:47:48

Perre

Of course. smile Thanks for your help though.

But anyways, I actually managed to fix this problem.

If anyone gets any problems similar to mine you should check the permissions of the /var/cache/freevo and /var/log/freevo folders.
Chown'ing them (including all subfolders) fixed freevo and now it works like a charm.

#9 2009-08-09 23:45:26

beatbreaker

i got stuck doing the same thing, but this post solved the issue for me. I've since updated the wiki with this explanation in it. The Wiki was mostly written for how to get a serial device working, i've added a part for USB devices though my technical knowledge is limited it needs some cleaning up and maybe more detail.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lirc#USB_Devices

Board footer