You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-14 00:05:06

NeoEx

Can't run .desktop files via Nautilus

Hi. I've just installed GNOME 2.22 but I have a strange problem: if I click on a .desktop file (on the desktop or in a Nautilus window), it'll be open with gedit, instead of being executed.
Any ideas?

Linux user #420208

#2 2008-04-14 00:20:03

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Can't run .desktop files via Nautilus

A .dekstop file is not executable.  A .desktop file is used to create menu entries.  It defines the entry's name, where the entry occurs in the menu,  such as "Applications" --> "Internet" --> "Firefox" for example.  It also defines the menu item's icon.  So, .desktop files are used to configure the Main Menu items, nothing else.

HTH

Pudge

#3 2008-04-14 09:13:30

NeoEx

Re: Can't run .desktop files via Nautilus

Pudge wrote:

A .dekstop file is not executable.  A .desktop file is used to create menu entries.  It defines the entry's name, where the entry occurs in the menu,  such as "Applications" --> "Internet" --> "Firefox" for example.  It also defines the menu item's icon.  So, .desktop files are used to configure the Main Menu items, nothing else.

HTH

Pudge

Yeah, I know what they are. wink
But with previous version of GNOME, clicking on a .desktop file means execute the program; KDE does this too.
I don't know what happened, but that's not normal: if I add a menu entry to the desktop, a .desktop file will be created: so, it's useless...
Removing ~/.gnome2, ~/.gconf and ~/.gconf2 doesn't change anything.

Linux user #420208

Board footer