You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-16 17:18:48

floke

[SOLVED] Mandriva makes sound (how can I find out how?)

I'm amazed!

For the first time ever, a Linux distro has made my Tecra A8 with the snd_hda_intel driver work straight through the speakers (rather than headphones).
I can't tell you how absolutely blown away I am by this. I've been using Linux for eighteen months, and never with any external sound. There's only one problem ... the distro is Mandriva (!)

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out the sound configs etc. from Mandriva and how I can copy them over to Arch?

Last edited by floke (2008-04-16 19:04:11)

#2 2008-04-16 17:43:50

brebs

Re: [SOLVED] Mandriva makes sound (how can I find out how?)

It could well be Mandriva's custom ALSA patches. Compare Mandriva's equivalent of /usr/src/linux/sound/pci/hda/*.{c,h} to Arch's.

Assuming that you've tried the obvious model=basic

#3 2008-04-16 18:28:51

floke

Now I'm even more amazed!

Brebs, you are officially my favourite person in the entire world at this moment; a candidate for my favourite person ever; and a lead contender for my favourite person of the century.

After all this time...

I last tried to get this working when I was using Ubuntu, and tried everything I could find before being told by one of their devs that I had a kernel jack sense bug (sound worked with headphones but not main speakers). After that I assumed that it must just be a hardware incompatibility issue and got used to using plugged in speakers through the headphone socket.

It turns out that the obvious (way too obvious) solution from the link above sorted the problem!

Thanks a million brebs!

big_smile

#4 2008-04-16 18:36:38

brebs

It took me about 30 seconds to type "tecra a8 alsa" into Google and scan the top hits...

So the moral is, use Google. You're not the only one using Linux, or using Linux with that laptop wink

#5 2008-04-16 19:01:42

floke

I know, I know, it sounds dumb - but really I spent hours and hours on this thing when I first set up Linux on it and just concluded that it was the hardware.

Anyway, thanks again - I can't get over how simple it was.

Board footer