You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-17 00:01:49

3lusive

very happy with archlinux

Guys i'm a long time linux guy here (1993+) and I was always a slackware die hard
and got a new dell inspiron 1525..... first i tried slackware base and was going to compile X/KDE myself....
then tried VectorLinux, I got frustrated at some things working, incomplete, etc. and found Arch.

I have to say, this is the *BEST* distro I have used and has really skyrocked my productivity.  I have in the
past compiled Inkscape by hand, as many know, there is a depency-hell with some programs and it takes
forever to build. 

you gotta love "pacman -S inkscape"

With Arch, everything works and yes if I have to, I can build from scratch but now I can actually
be productive and do things with pacman.  I had tried to run Zoiper (free IAX/SIP voip client) and it segfaulted
with dependecy problems on slackware, on Arch I just tried it and it works no problems. 

I love the fact that everything on Arch is the latest.  I'm very very pleased with Arch and I think its great that it
follows the old school NO GUI installer simple philosophy.... the rc.conf is awesome... and I noticed Arch is very
fast.  Of course I compiled my own kernel so I wont use Arch for kernels,  but pacman is wonderful.

I could even set up a system for my mom or sister and have them periodically run pacman -Su to update the
system.... the problem with a lot of open source is you NEED to be on the latest versions to get the benefits...
releases like slack 11 10 12, etc... leave too much time go by to get the latest stuff.... with the "rolling distribution"
concept this is really perfect.... 

I'm really impressed with the wiki/forums nice professional arch logo, etc.....
thanks to everyone who makes Arch so great!!!

-jim

#2 2008-04-17 00:56:29

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: very happy with archlinux

Welcome home!
Arch is perfect for Slack migrants who crave pacman's power and convenience. ABS, AUR and yaourt are just the icing on the cake.
Enjoy. 8)

#3 2008-04-17 07:29:46

millerl

I'll add one more <3 for Arch as well.

#4 2008-04-17 09:22:36

danielsoft

+1 smile I am using Arch third month now and I love it already

there is one sign of perfection I want to share:
a few days ago I had to look, where one program searches for configs, so I did

strace program 2>somefile

the "somefile" was very short: in fact it was "strace: command not found"

so I installed strace and realized that for three months, especially for the first three months I am using this distro I *never* had to use this diagnostic tool: this is a very good sign, that I didn't come to serious problems and everything was very smooth : everything was solved either myself or searching this forum... arch rulez.

may the Source be with you

#5 2008-04-17 20:45:13

anrxc
Website

For years I prefered Slackware as well, and I was in a similar situation, this newer generation of laptops need latest kernel/alsa/xorg... to get everything working. I couldn't wait for a next Slackware release, and didn't like the idea of compiling xorg and other huge packages. So I went with Arch which I followed for a few years and knew more or less what to expect.

So Arch became my main system, and I love it. I've used and administered every major distribution, and Arch IMO is the best desktop/workstation GNU+Linux distribution today.

Last edited by anrxc (2008-05-20 14:20:10)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

Board footer