You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-25 04:23:23

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Questions about base setup..

Hey all!
I just installed Arch under VMWare to give it a spin. It is super sweet. I think I am in love.
  8)

Anyway, a couple of quick (hopefully) questions.
Question1: I noticed there is a user called "ftp". Is an ftp daemon installed by default, or is that user just there in preparation? (I didn't see an ftp init script in rc.d...)

Question2: What is the default encoding method for user passwords? Is it crypt (icky) or MD5 (*hopes*)? I notices that shadow-utils is in...good stuff..=D

On a final note, let me congratulate the ArchLinux devs on a super sweet distro. One of the nicest, easiest to follow installs that I have done in a while. Setting up the system post install was also easy. (Eveything seemed so CLEAN!).

Thanks,
cactus

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2004-05-27 14:28:48

bogomipz

Re: Questions about base setup..

No ftp daemon is intalled by default, and you're right in that there would be a script in /etc/rc.d if one was installed.

All of your mips are belong to us!!

#3 2004-05-27 18:08:36

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Cool beans.  8)

Anyone know about question 2?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2004-05-27 22:00:51

skparkes

Not sure about question 2, but there is MD5 password support.  It is mentioned as being added in verion .5 on the front page changelog:

http://www.archlinux.org/changelog.php

Later,

Isamoor

#5 2004-05-27 22:38:42

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

thanks for the link..It got my head scratching, so I did some more research..
It looks like md5 is enabled by default..good to know.  8)

in /etc/pam.d/passwd, the md5 argument is passed to pam_unix on the pam stack.
I also found out that md5 hashed usually start with a $1$ in front of them, and the /etc/shadow file has passwords hashed in this format.

hooray!

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer