You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-17 13:47:53

HyperBaton

How can I fix unrecognized characters?

I have some folders on my laptop containing MP3s with unrecognized characters. I think it's supposed to be a Copyright or TradeMark symbol, but Nautilus and xterm just show a "?". I'm not too experienced when it comes to language settings etc, so I don't really know where to start.

In my rc.conf I have LOCALE set to "en_US.UTF8".

The filename looks like this in Nautilus:

J. Holiday - Suffocate (? MusicLine Capitol).MP3 (invalid encoding)

Last edited by HyperBaton (2008-04-17 13:48:59)

#2 2008-04-25 11:19:18

TheBodziO
Website

Re: How can I fix unrecognized characters?

There can be several causes. First off: what is the filesystem on partition with your music folders (some mount parameters may be necessary)? Then: font that you're using in nautilus and xterm doesn't have apropriate characters. It's also possible that file names were created using another encoding that utf-8 and now some of previously properly mapped characters are pointing to quite different glyphs. The last thing I can think of is: maybe you're mounting filesystem with some kind of "iocharset", "charset" and the like parameters?

I'm using "pl_PL.utf-8" locale and have files like "Московское подворье Свято-Троицкой Сергиевой Лавры - Да исправится молитва моя" displayed properly in both nautilus and xterm.

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#3 2008-04-25 12:07:14

HyperBaton

Re: How can I fix unrecognized characters?

The files are in my home folder on a ext3 partition. The partition is mounted with "defaults" parameter. In Nautilus I use the Bitstream Vera Sans font and in xterm I use the Terminus font. They both displayed a "?" for the unrecognized character. I found a Nautilus tool that fixes the filename, but I have to right-click every file... Is there some kind of command line tool to process a whole directory of files and fix their filenames?

Board footer